Mushy Mayhem

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Found this one on a pine stump, growing with turkey tails.. it feels like a turkey tail, has the velvety leathery feel to it, and like turkey tail is a polypore and saprophytic (feeding on wood).
Love the colour of it, whatever it is? Kind of looks like chicken of the woods
IMG_20240503_120729.jpgIMG_20240503_120800.jpgIMG_20240503_120826.jpgIMG_20240503_120942.jpg
Looks like it could be a Cinnabar Bracket (Pycnoporus sanguineus)

Last edited:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Last edited:

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
That thing looks massive 🤣
Has to be in the same family as turkey tail too. Those shrooms are popping off, I wonder if they are the subs kind?
It would be about 90cm at its widest point.
I believe there are some subs variety plus others. I'll get a better collection of shots in a week ors so when the workload backs off a bit

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Found this one on a pine stump, growing with turkey tails.. it feels like a turkey tail, has the velvety leathery feel to it, and like turkey tail is a polypore and saprophytic (feeding on wood).
Love the colour of it, whatever it is? Kind of looks like chicken of the woods
View attachment 47607View attachment 47608View attachment 47609View attachment 47610
Looks like it could be a Cinnabar Bracket (Pycnoporus sanguineus)
It’s called Orange Bracket or something. Very common. Indigenous peoples used them as teething rings for babies.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
It’s called Orange Bracket or something. Very common. Indigenous peoples used them as teething rings for babies.
That's interesting, I read some articles on them and they reckon the colour pigments could be used as paint or dye?

And they are medicinal to an extent, helping all sorts of ailments apparently but then there were articles saying they were inedible too

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
That's interesting, I read some articles on them and they reckon the colour pigments could be used as paint or dye?

And they are medicinal to an extent, helping all sorts of ailments apparently but then there's articles saying they were inedible.
Don’t think they are medicinal. But also not sure if they are edible. I think they just don’t taste nice so I guess they are edible but you wouldn’t actually eat them. But please don’t use my knowledge as permission to eat them 😂 I just remember hearing about them years ago. I have one the forms in a sleeper in my back garden.

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Don’t think they are medicinal. But also not sure if they are edible. I think they just don’t taste nice so I guess they are edible but you wouldn’t actually eat them. But please don’t use my knowledge as permission to eat them 😂 I just remember hearing about them years ago. I have one the forms in a sleeper in my back garden.
Yeah too chewy 😆 fk that 🤣

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Took another stray pan, left it a bit too late so it dropped spores on the bag so I swabbed the spores with cotton tips
IMG_20240505_112216.jpgIMG_20240505_112324.jpg
Loads of little pins showing now so I should start getting some solid clusters happening. They smell great which is surprising compared to the AA+ I tried growing a few years back, which had a bitter musty smell.

Last edited:

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
@Sun Ra 's GT bag. Very happy to see one of the comp bags produce something (was worried I gave all the winners dud bags of contaminated garbage).

View attachment 47688View attachment 47689
😍
The two main muchies have more than doubled in size in the past 36 hrs - the big one is about 5" tall
and the smaller one's about 4". At what stage do I pick them and how do I do that ? Pull them out roots
and all or cut them of at soil level with a knife ?

MR.png

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID
The two main muchies have more than doubled in size in the past 36 hrs - the big one is about 5" tall
and the smaller one's about 4". At what stage do I pick them and how do I do that ? Pull them out roots

View attachment 47771
Think they can just be taken with a knife. I have been just pulling mine out but it takes a chunk of mycelium and dirt with, will just start snipping them off. Apparently they are best to pick when the underside of the mushroom cap (veil) begins splitting from the stem if that makes sense? I'm not a pro but that's what I recalled anyway 😂.

1714987000939.png

They look pretty big too, they look more pale than what I had in mind being golden Teachers and all, nice colour though

Last edited:

Goonie Goat

Curing
Community Member
User ID

View attachment 47771
I think you might have leucistic GT's. can't get over how pale they are !

Leucistic
1715501157671.png
1715500503012.png

Albino
1715500552512.png
1715501290821.png

Last edited:

Dubbski

Germinating
User ID
Woah, this is next level home-grown!
I can now really appreciate those early days now, just a Macca's bag in hand and simply going for a walk through the local pine forests (about this time of year too) and finding a patch to "flick and pick" until our bags were full.
This is the hard-yards for sure, hats off!

Top Bottom