New Grower, New Setup

Ganja Kaiser

Baked
User ID
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on getting a setup going, please. I'm a new grower.

I've started buying equipment but I wanted to reach out for advice from the community as I don't personally know any other growers to ask them for experienced help.

So far I have the following equipment organised:
2x4 (60x120) Gorilla grow tent
HLG 350 R Diablo light
x2 Breezin 6" oscillating clip fans
Cultiv8 24-hour analogue timer (should I get another one for my seedling tent?)
pH soil tester
40L Gro-Dirt
Bio Diesel nutrients pack with 6 different products

Additionally, I thought I could use another small tent for my seedlings:
50x70x60 seaHawk grow tent
HLG V2 135 Blue Spec
20L Gro-Dirt Super Starter

What is a really high-quality fan and carbon filter I can use in my 2x4 tent?

What else am I missing?

I'm looking at getting some seeds from ilgm.com. I hear they deliver from within Australia?

Thanks for any help you can please provide. :)

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Ganja Kaiser

Baked
User ID
Can fans and filters are pretty reputable for lasting a long time. I have the 6inch running in my 3x3 tent and has been running almost constantly for about 3 years now and no issues.
Welcome and good luck mate
Thanks mate. Can you see any other equipment I'm missing? I've literally written everything down I have - so I don't have any pots for my seedlings or when they get bigger either.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Like sooty said you'll need and intake and an out take fan. Canfan are great and I've had one for 2 years now and hasn't missed a beat but they are expensive. Phresh, Mountain air, ac infinity or blauberg all great fans. Do you know about negative pressure for your grow space?
How many plants you going to try to grow in your tent?
Yes you will need a timer for your seedling/veg tent unless you want to do it manually.
Like most things cost is usually an indication of quality same goes with growing equipment.
When ya get plants up and going do a diary on here and people can help you if you have an problems.

Ganja Kaiser

Baked
User ID
Like sooty said you'll need and intake and an out take fan. Canfan are great and I've had one for 2 years now and hasn't missed a beat but they are expensive. Phresh, Mountain air, ac infinity or blauberg all great fans. Do you know about negative pressure for your grow space?
How many plants you going to try to grow in your tent?
Yes you will need a timer for your seedling/veg tent unless you want to do it manually.
Like most things cost is usually an indication of quality same goes with growing equipment.
When ya get plants up and going do a diary on here and people can help you if you have an problems.
Thanks Porky.

I thought I'd only need an outtake fan. Thanks for letting me know I'll need both. With my 2x4 I was going to put the fan and ducting coming out of the top right of the tent and have ducting coming in from the bottom left for intake (but without a fan) - that's the negative pressure, right?

As for plants - I was going to aim to get 4 plants going in 10L'ish pots of some kind (don't have pots arranged yet - any recommendations?). I also don't have pots or anything organised for my seedlings.

I'll grab the extra timer - thanks for that.

I'm looking forward to sharing my grow diary here. I'm just trying to find reliable sources of information for growing. There seems to be so much different information here on the internet and unfortunately, I don't know anyone I can ask personally.

I'm happy to spend the money on getting my setup done properly. I want to do it right.

Joe Dirte

Curing
User ID
Hey mate as far as intake goes you could just open your bottom Velcro air vent flaps slightly (be careful for light leaks in flower though)
Everything else sounds good above passive draw is good for intake but yeh be careful of the light leaks coming in for flower and out for security reasons.
I'd prob just run two plants in that size space giving each one 60x60cm canopy.
A heat mat is useful for starting seedlings and rooting clones as is a humidity dome👍

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Thanks Porky.

I thought I'd only need an outtake fan. Thanks for letting me know I'll need both. With my 2x4 I was going to put the fan and ducting coming out of the top right of the tent and have ducting coming in from the bottom left for intake (but without a fan) - that's the negative pressure, right?

As for plants - I was going to aim to get 4 plants going in 10L'ish pots of some kind (don't have pots arranged yet - any recommendations?). I also don't have pots or anything organised for my seedlings.

I'll grab the extra timer - thanks for that.

I'm looking forward to sharing my grow diary here. I'm just trying to find reliable sources of information for growing. There seems to be so much different information here on the internet and unfortunately, I don't know anyone I can ask personally.

I'm happy to spend the money on getting my setup done properly. I want to do it right.
Yeah mate like Joe says above you can go passive intake but light leaks will be a problem in flower unless where your tent is is a blacked out room.
I used to grow 8 plants in a 2.4m x 1.2m tent which if scaled down to your size tent would be 2 plants. Having said that I currently have 27plants in the same space but they will be much smaller.

Plants get a lot bigger once flipped to 12/12 light hours so be careful not to over croud your space or its a recipe for bud rot later in flower.
Yeah you want your intake and out take at opposite ends of your tent and most people have intake at floor level and out take at tent ceiling hight.

I'm pretty sure a few people on here have used ILGM for their seeds and have positive things to say about them.
What strains are you thinking of growing??

Ganja Kaiser

Baked
User ID
Thanks a lot Joe and Porky again.

I'm concerned about light leaks so I might consider at a minimum adding ducting to the bottom vent for intake - is there a different kind of fan I need to buy for intake or is it the same for intake/outtake? Also, if I did add an intake fan - would I keep it in the tent or outside or is that a dumb question?

I was looking at Wedding Cake and Gelato as I've had them before and liked them.

Was just looking at this package for outtake fan etc. Thoughts?

Would you say Can-Fan are better than Phresh Hyperfan or apples and oranges?

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for advice on getting a setup going, please. I'm a new grower.

I've started buying equipment but I wanted to reach out for advice from the community as I don't personally know any other growers to ask them for experienced help.

So far I have the following equipment organised:
2x4 (60x120) Gorilla grow tent
HLG 350 R Diablo light
x2 Breezin 6" oscillating clip fans
Cultiv8 24-hour analogue timer (should I get another one for my seedling tent?)
pH soil tester
40L Gro-Dirt
Bio Diesel nutrients pack with 6 different products

Additionally, I thought I could use another small tent for my seedlings:
50x70x60 seaHawk grow tent
HLG V2 135 Blue Spec
20L Gro-Dirt Super Starter

What is a really high-quality fan and carbon filter I can use in my 2x4 tent?

What else am I missing?

I'm looking at getting some seeds from ilgm.com. I hear they deliver from within Australia?

Thanks for any help you can please provide. :)
Decent soil shouldn’t need the extra salt nutrients. In fact the salts will be detrimental to the biology of the soil. If you want to use the biodiesel salts they’d probably work better in a coco (or peat) and perlite mix or a straight hydro system.

Ganja Kaiser

Baked
User ID
Decent soil shouldn’t need the extra salt nutrients. In fact the salts will be detrimental to the biology of the soil. If you want to use the biodiesel salts they’d probably work better in a coco (or peat) and perlite mix or a straight hydro system.
Thanks mate - do you recommend I use anything with my Gro-Dirt aside from good water then? No extra nutrients?

Joe Dirte

Curing
User ID
Thanks a lot Joe and Porky again.

I'm concerned about light leaks so I might consider at a minimum adding ducting to the bottom vent for intake - is there a different kind of fan I need to buy for intake or is it the same for intake/outtake? Also, if I did add an intake fan - would I keep it in the tent or outside or is that a dumb question?

I was looking at Wedding Cake and Gelato as I've had them before and liked them.

Was just looking at this package for outtake fan etc. Thoughts?

Would you say Can-Fan are better than Phresh Hyperfan or apples and oranges?
I think the 6inch maxfan by can fan would be perfect for your space. They seem to have a solid reputation as long lasting and are pretty quiet with a c.f and acoustic ducting. I just bought one for $280 locally yesterday for a 1.2x1.2 x2h tent
As far as intake fan than you could prob get the same fan and run it on the low setting intake and high setting for exhaust but that is moving serious air. A few S bends in acoustic ducting will dull sound and chance of light leaks.
Could be overkill, I'm sure others will chime in.

Gazza

Forum Pisshead
User ID
You’ll need a mini greenhouse or propagation tray with a lid mate, they are a growers best friend.

Some ph down is always handy too.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Thanks mate - do you recommend I use anything with my Gro-Dirt aside from good water then? No extra nutrients?
I don’t grow in dirt and haven’t actually seen anything about Gro-dirt. If you throw up a link I’ll check it out. A good soil should be able to sustain a plant through veg and the start of flower at the very least with mostly just water (and some carbs for the microbes).

Ganja Kaiser

Baked
User ID
You’ll need a mini greenhouse or propagation tray with a lid mate, they are a growers best friend.

Some ph down is always handy too.
I forgot to mention I've got the mini greenhouse with a lid. I've got a heatmat that fits well under it as well. I'll have to check on the brand but I'm assuming it'll be as good as any other heatmat.

Top Bottom