Link your tunes here

Sun Ra

Baked
Community Member
User ID
'Saw Deep Purple 3 nights in a row in Melbourne ('89?).
I met the band after their last performance (except Ritchie Blackmore, who was an unsociable cunt).
Whilst I was chatting to Jon Lord, I mentioned to him that he had incorporated the Adagio from Rodrigo's Concerto De Aranjuez during his keyboard solo that night & it felt like he was playing it just for me, as it's one of my all-time favourite pieces.

He absolutely fucking BEAMED!!!!
A lot of people say Miles / Gil Evans take on it doesn't stack up against a classical guitar / orchestra performance by say John Williams, etc. but I disagree ....... both have their place.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Rabbitlicker

Germinating
User ID
Yeah, I'm not necessarily a purist & have listened to many different iterations/versions of the whole piece by many different artists (John Williams/Slava Grigorian/Paco Pena/Paco de Lucia etc..etc...), but I still reckon the classical guitar/orchestra form is the way to go. 'Specially live. It's visceral!

Jon Lord reached-out into the audience & happened to touch me on an individual level that night.

Rabbitlicker

Germinating
User ID
Anecdote warning!

On a whim & at the last moment, I bought two REALLY cheap tickets for my girlfriend at the time for us to go & see John Williams & Paco Pena at the Melbourne Concert Hall (I introduced her to Flamenco & Classical guitar).

'Handed the tickets to the usher, who led us down the steps...further down....further & further down.... Where exactly are we going??

We ended-up front-row, centre.

Oh GOD, did I get royally laid that night!!!!! :)

Top Bottom