Getting Started

Goonie Goat

Curing
User ID
Hey peeps, sorry to jump in here with my own question but it is kinda topical. I'm attempting to get a second season in this year with a similar approach to GreenerPastures only I'm wanting the transition outdoors to cause flowering and then hoping they'll finish off before reveg.

They germinated this week and they'll spend maybe 1 and a half to 2 months indoors at 18/6, then I'll put them in the ground outdoors and cross the fingers. I think the day length will be at about 12.5 hours when they go outdoors. it'll be interesting to see if they finish off. Maybe the chances are low??

If I was on top of things I would've started earlier in the year to try and reduce the chances of reveg.

Anyone else managed to get 2 seasons out of a year in Aus using a similar strategy?
I think it might be too late with photoperiods, autoflowers might be the go I reckon

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
( photo period plants ) if your putting them in the ground in 2 months from now , which would be end of September ( I'm in Vic ) , day lengths would be 12hrs 30min plus adding about half of the civil twilight , which would total "around" 13hrs of day light

sunrise & sunset times , Melb Sept 2024 =https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/australia/melbourne?month=9&year=2024

the way I've got 2 harvests outdoor is through using light deprivation which means you'd have to keep plants in pots for one or group of plants so they can be moved into darkness indoors to keep day lengths at 12-13hrs , or if they stay in the ground you'd need to cover them with something to simulate darkness for 12hrs

either way your attached to a ball & chain for the period of flowering , no mistakes , cover or move them every night & the same every morning

if you use auto's none of this matters & you could be starting seeds monthly & at the other end be harvesting monthly , daylight hours make no difference

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Hey peeps, sorry to jump in here with my own question but it is kinda topical. I'm attempting to get a second season in this year with a similar approach to GreenerPastures only I'm wanting the transition outdoors to cause flowering and then hoping they'll finish off before reveg.

They germinated this week and they'll spend maybe 1 and a half to 2 months indoors at 18/6, then I'll put them in the ground outdoors and cross the fingers. I think the day length will be at about 12.5 hours when they go outdoors. it'll be interesting to see if they finish off. Maybe the chances are low??

If I was on top of things I would've started earlier in the year to try and reduce the chances of reveg.

Anyone else managed to get 2 seasons out of a year in Aus using a similar strategy?
Turn ya lights down to 13 hours! Or they'll flower when ya put em outside.

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
( photo period plants ) if your putting them in the ground in 2 months from now , which would be end of September ( I'm in Vic ) , day lengths would be 12hrs 30min plus adding about half of the civil twilight , which would total "around" 13hrs of day light

sunrise & sunset times , Melb Sept 2024 =https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/australia/melbourne?month=9&year=2024

the way I've got 2 harvests outdoor is through using light deprivation which means you'd have to keep plants in pots for one or group of plants so they can be moved into darkness indoors to keep day lengths at 12-13hrs , or if they stay in the ground you'd need to cover them with something to simulate darkness for 12hrs

either way your attached to a ball & chain for the period of flowering , no mistakes , cover or move them every night & the same every morning

if you use auto's none of this matters & you could be starting seeds monthly & at the other end be harvesting monthly , daylight hours make no difference
Thanks for the detailed reply mate (y) Yeah, the whole light dep thing would be more than I'm willing to do so might be best to invest in more lighting and keep them indoors for flower. Too much of a risk to take for the effort involved in getting them through veg then into the ground etc.
I'm running on solar so there are some power limitations, which is why I was hoping to get them into the sun for flower.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Thanks for the detailed reply mate (y) Yeah, the whole light dep thing would be more than I'm willing to do so might be best to invest in more lighting and keep them indoors for flower. Too much of a risk to take for the effort involved in getting them through veg then into the ground etc.
I'm running on solar so there are some power limitations, which is why I was hoping to get them into the sun for flower.
you can get them into the sun you just need to match the light hours indoor to match outdoor daylight hours
what state are you in ?

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
you can get them into the sun you just need to match the light hours indoor to match outdoor daylight hours
what state are you in ?
Yeah just start them at say 13 hours lights on and move them outside when it matches daylight hours.
I'm in SE QLD. Maybe a bit late. I've started them at 18/6.
If they went outside say mid September, I'm thinking they would flip to flower but then I'd run into the risk of them re-vegging before they finish off, right?

HomeBound_Hound

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Get the "Photone" app...
It will give you a rough idea as to how much light to give them...
Seedlings from 300, up to 900 ppfd for flowering..

Get a PH pen.. Blue lab or HM 80 or the like....
Some up and down to tune PH of water or nutes.
Ph for watering or feeding soil needs to be 6-7.
If using coco Coir 5.8-6.2

Temps from 20-26c
Humidity about 60 to start...

And some fine grade DE... (Diamotatous earth)
You will be needing that at some point for pests...

1.5 x 1.5 W x D ?

O.... and a small oil fin heater to stop nightie temps getting below 18c...
Hook it up to an Inkbird regulator to maintain exact temps....
They also have a cooling outlet plug to activate a exhaust fan if temps get too high...

And a small fan to circulate air.... so plants are very gentley moving....
The only thing I would add here is don't try and cut corners by buying cheap equipment. start by buying quality equipment, especially ph testers and ec testers don't make the same stupid mistake I made many times by trying to get something cheap like this piece of shit.
1722938196438.png
I got this for my most recent grow and while the EC measures quite well the pH is all over the place and I constantly have to recalibrate it. If I had just put the money I wasted on stuff like this and cheap 3in1 soil testers, I could've just got a Bluelab Ph pen.
You'll save a lot of dollars in the long run by just buying the good shit from the start. Personally, that took me years to figure out and as you can see by my purchase I'm still learning that the hard way.

Dumbest thread ever!! 🤣
giphy (2).gif

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
If they went outside say mid September, I'm thinking they would flip to flower but then I'd run into the risk of them re-vegging before they finish off, right?
yes that's a possibility
leave them inside under 18/6 till December 22nd , putting them outside then should start them & keep them flowering in SE Qld

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
The only thing I would add here is don't try and cut corners by buying cheap equipment. start by buying quality equipment, especially ph testers and ec testers don't make the same stupid mistake I made many times by trying to get something cheap like this piece of shit.
View attachment 50541
I got this for my most recent grow and while the EC measures quite well the pH is all over the place and I constantly have to recalibrate it. If I had just put the money I wasted on stuff like this and cheap 3in1 soil testers, I could've just got a Bluelab Ph pen.
You'll save a lot of dollars in the long run by just buying the good shit from the start. Personally, that took me years to figure out and as you can see by my purchase I'm still learning that the hard way.

View attachment 50542
i literally have the exact ph/ec meter and has and still does work well lol

Harry bootlace

Baked
Community Member
User ID

I’d say more than a risk, it’s the most likely outcome.
Yep. As itchy says you’d need to leave until much later to take outside.

Or if you want to keep in flower and get an early harvest you’ll need to do light deprivation which is a big commitment.

Anaken Moonwalk

Vegetating
User ID
yes that's a possibility
leave them inside under 18/6 till December 22nd , putting them outside then should start them & keep them flowering in SE Qld
I’d say more than a risk, it’s the most likely outcome.
Yep. As itchy says you’d need to leave until much later to take outside.

Or if you want to keep in flower and get an early harvest you’ll need to do light deprivation which is a big commitment.
Thanks for your input guys, very helpful (y)

Top Bottom