A question about power meters

Rocker

Germinating
User ID
I'm getting paranoid in my old age. Here goes anyway.

Is it safe doing a small home grow if you have a smart metre? The constant draw of 600 watts worries me.
I'm switching from 250 watt, 450 and 600 to create confusion. ;) And I don't know enough about LEDs where I assume a lot less power is used. Can anyone help with the smart metre angle? Thanks.

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Done the sums just recently, and I've been using gear similar to yourself, who also has a smart meter. As of last bill since price rise (in QLD), it's looking that my grow will add $150-200 a quarter to operate. Which is bugger all in the scheme of things.

I'm yet to hear anyone being raided because they were monitored via a smart meter. I think it business as usual. As long as you're not ripping off power and paying your bill, they don't give a toss how much you consume.

Smart meters are primarily used for power shedding. So in times of high demands they can limit th8ngs like A/C's, Hot Water Units, etc.. Not to spy on you.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
+1 indy
generally as long as your not stealing power & you pay ya bill on time
i don't think the power co's give a shit how much power you use
they just care about gettin paid
if you got busted could the cops use info gathered from your supplier
yeah probably but ya fucked either way at that point

Rocker

Germinating
User ID
Thanks, people for the info. I'm in the same state indy. I think we have another 18% increase coming soon. That doesn't worry me much I just want to be able to do what I do.
What set me off was a google search I did on the subject. There were a lot of people talking stuff that got me worried.

I wish I could get on the medical cannabis. I wouldn't know where to start with that one.

R3za92

Baked
User ID

Is it safe doing a small home grow if you have a smart metre? The constant draw of 600 watts worries me.
I'm switching from 250 watt, 450 and 600 to create confusion. ;) And I don't know enough about LEDs where I assume a lot less power is used. Can anyone help with the smart metre angle? Thanks.
Led don’t really use less power. They just produce less heat.

The power company doesn’t care what your doing with the power as long as you pay the bills and aren't stealing it. Stop being paranoid.

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID

Stress testing them. Good.

nexus420

Vegetating
User ID

my pc uses more and its always on

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Smart meters are primarily used for power shedding. So in times of high demands they can limit th8ngs like A/C's, Hot Water Units, etc.. Not to spy on you.
[/QUOTE]
I think your spot on My aircon gets regulated all the time because on stinking hot days it won't go above low and has an E somthing code,and when I looked it up it says it's being remotely regulated. I asked the sparky what the other bit is that's in there and he said to regulate hot water systems if there's a massive blackout they can turn people's hot water back on in stages so they don't have whole suburbs of hot water systems comming back on at same time

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I think your spot on My aircon gets regulated all the time because on stinking hot days it won't go above low and has an E somthing code,and when I looked it up it says it's being remotely regulated. I asked the sparky what the other bit is that's in there and he said to regulate hot water systems if there's a massive blackout they can turn people's hot water back on in stages so they don't have whole suburbs of hot water systems comming back on at same time
Good to learn more about. (y)

Gotta admit, when I put A/C's through the house, the sparky mentioned he'll have to tee up a new smart for the 'box. To which I was dubious like Rocker is. But he explained that to me, and mentioned that I should chase up the cash back bonus that gov was offering so the power company can regulate them in periods of high demand. It was a scheme worth getting on because I got a bit over 1k back from them.

Can't say I've notice them limit any yet. But the network and supply seems pretty solid around here.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Inverter type, biggest one is a 8kw that does half the house. Most it used in a day is about 20-22kwh. Which is about $6.00 - $6.60 for the day. Money well spent on a fuckin' hot day when it's a blast furnace outside. Plus, got 5k panels that feed back into the grid at 44c kwh

Bedroom ones are only used for an hour or so at night, just to get the heat out of the rooms.

Indy

Misfit
User ID
How hot is ya "blast Furness" ?

No A/C when I lived in QLD, had one in WA tho lol
Well, on the rare occasion throughout summer we get these strong north-westerly blows that carts the inland heat into us. If it goes any longer than 3 days, you can lose soft tissue plants if you don't keep the water up to them.

Seen the lawn die off a few times in that time frame.

The north-westerly winds are usually fairly dry. But typical QLD, humid as, after rain.

Pedro de pacas

FIGJAM - Artisan of Bullshit.
User ID
Gets like that here occasionally, we chuck the fan on and get the spray bottle out lol

anything over 45c gets a bit warm hey

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Inverter type, biggest one is a 8kw that does half the house. Most it used in a day is about 20-22kwh. Which is about $6.00 - $6.60 for the day. Money well spent on a fuckin' hot day when it's a blast furnace outside. Plus, got 5k panels that feed back into the grid at 44c kwh

Bedroom ones are only used for an hour or so at night, just to get the heat out of the rooms.
Did I read that right that your getting 44c pkwh feed back mate??
Mine is 9c pkwh!!
What power company you with??

Top Bottom