Whats the go with LEP lighting? What am I missing?

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
So. I have noticed a lot of large scale growers and commercial facilities use plasma lighting such as the gavita 270e. I have seen a lot of marketing on media which focuses on running through a commercial operation and discussing their methods of production. They all tote LEP lighting as "more economical and efficient with cleaner light at a molecular level", and also mention lifespan.

I just can't see these benefits. For example, at around $2k, a gavita 270e puts out a ppf of 300umol/s. That's less than a 150w TS 1000 which uses old tech epistar/bridgelux diodes (considered relatively inefficient these days) at around 10-12x the price.

What am I missing? Seems like a complete waste especially when the lifespan is no better than most LEDs these days.

My 240w 301b Longboard puts out a ppf of 600umol/s and cost me $300. A good 300w led such as the viparspectra ks-3000 will put out close to 800umol ppf.

What is this magic efficiency and molecular light I am not seeing the benefit of, and why would commercial grows opt for these lights bar the benefit of apparently being able to run in wetter climate?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Yeah I've seen plasma lighting in large scale crops on YouTube but never really thought about it!!
From what your saying price wise they must give better results product wise or why would they be using em.

VinDeezle

Baked
User ID
Yeah I've seen plasma lighting in large scale crops on YouTube but never really thought about it!!
From what your saying price wise they must give better results product wise or why would they be using em.
Apparently it's got something to do with filling in the spectrum that HP's or CMH lack. Lots of UV spectrum

Top Bottom