Protesters attempt to storm Tesla German plant, clash with police

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
It seems even Toyota's "EV killer" ammonia engine has it's own downsides.
Ammonia? So it'll still be dependent on the Haber-Bosch process which is a major contributor to climate change also... So again, only a storage medium. Still not resolution on base supply. I'll be a broken record on this but it pisses me off that western nations stand idle in the hopes that the 'free handjob' of capitalism guides us to solutions and governments do fuck all.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
The infrastructure needed for hydrogen is huge.
The infrastructure is already there for EVs
The only vehicle you can refuel/charge at home.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Hydrogen is an interesting tech but the fundamental is that it is only a storage medium. You still need to generate the power needed to make it. Until we have large scale renewable power, hydrogen is not really any use in the short term. Australia is not short of power generation sources - we just are fucking hopeless when it comes to innovation and long term planning.

Same sort of story for the Snowy Hydro 2.0 thing - and that has been a shit fight from the beginning. But like hydrogen, they are sexy sounding projects and misdirect funding away from base generation. Until any of this stuff is sorted at scale, I don't see there being much benefit to a handful of EV's or similar on the roads.
There also the issues with storing hydrogen because of it’s molecular size. It’s a dead technology for automotive use for anything other than long range heavy vehicles and even than swappable battery tech will probably be a better option. Just look at Toyota recently being sued by Mira owners in the USA over lack of available hydrogen and infrastructure as well as issues with refueling.

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
There also the issues with storing hydrogen because of it’s molecular size. It’s a dead technology for automotive use for anything other than long range heavy vehicles and even than swappable battery tech will probably be a better option. Just look at Toyota recently being sued by Mira owners in the USA over lack of available hydrogen and infrastructure as well as issues with refueling.
I'm not super savvy on the detail, but what little I learned at uni regarding hydrogen makes me question the viability of having it in passenger vehicles at scale. Doesn't seem safe of practical. I think hydrogen will have a big place in the energy storage market down the track for various applications for sure. But yeah, not in a car.

I worked on a contract for a fuel retailer here and saw a bit about their long term view for their business. They're all keen to jump onto the tech to keep their businesses going - considering the infrastructure built. They called it forecourt refurbishment or something. Moving hydrogen around the country seems daft if we have an electric grid. Why create limits to supply? I don't think the company had any view that hydrogen would be part of their business - they'd already started working on electric stuff. I guess it's the long term for them, so we shall see. They'd just spent a wack upgrading their tradition USPS so don't see any changes for another 10-20 years

R3za92

Baked
User ID
I'm not super savvy on the detail, but what little I learned at uni regarding hydrogen makes me question the viability of having it in passenger vehicles at scale. Doesn't seem safe of practical. I think hydrogen will have a big place in the energy storage market down the track for various applications for sure. But yeah, not in a car.

For sure. Once the grid is over saturated with renewables it makes sense to divert excess production during peak production times (ie middle of the day when currently solar is absolutely pumping and forcing a negative wholesale price) into hydrogen production, this can than be stored and used to replace natural gas in gas fired generators in times of dunkelflaute (no/low wind or solar) over the grid. It can also be used for ammonia production and green steel among other things.

Top Bottom