LED Light distances

R3za92

Baked
User ID
If you're looking at getting a reflector as well, you may want to consider whether you want to have the bulb set up horizontally or vertically. A lot of old school growers prefer the Chinaman hat style reflector (bulb is vertical) because its meant to produce a better spread of light. But there's others like me prefer to hold the bulb horizontally with either a Adjust-a-Wing or cooltube reflector.

Anyway, check out the spec sheet for a Philips 600w HPS Bulb (Photometric Data) and give it some thought yourself if interested.
Reflector should be based on grow style. The only place the bulbs don’t make light is the base and the out the tip. Because of this if you’ve got a patch of floor directly below the bulb a land plants around it than the China hat is better. If there a plant directly below the bulb or the whole floor is covered (sog/scrog style) a horizontal holder is preferred.

I’m with you on using a horizontal hanger and filling the entire footprint with plant.

China hats go well in grows with multiple lights and bigger plants with gaps between them

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Im liking the looks of the Lumatek gear... Trying a cheap $200 HPS setup has grown to over $500 now.. 😆
Thats the problem when ya get bitten and start shoppin....
I go back and forth depending on season. In winter I run HPS to keep temps up.
But what I have noticed is Grams per watt is always better when I run LED

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
Only on my 4th grow.. all with the 300w LED consistently getting 10oz from near a sq meter..
I cycle organic soil through the vege garden and The Borg keep coming back... think they are in the soil now... so looking at trying clay balls and HPS to see if I can 1. Fuck off the TSSM and 2. Get bigger yields with 400-600 HPS.

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
Reflector should be based on grow style. The only place the bulbs don’t make light is the base and the out the tip. Because of this if you’ve got a patch of floor directly below the bulb a land plants around it than the China hat is better. If there a plant directly below the bulb or the whole floor is covered (sog/scrog style) a horizontal holder is preferred.

I’m with you on using a horizontal hanger and filling the entire footprint with plant.

China hats go well in grows with multiple lights and bigger plants with gaps between them
I was wondering about vert globes.... but considering I usually scrog a sq meter I’ll stick with horizontal 👍

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Only on my 4th grow.. all with the 300w LED consistently getting 10oz from near a sq meter..
I cycle organic soil through the vege garden and The Borg keep coming back... think they are in the soil now... so looking at trying clay balls and HPS to see if I can 1. Fuck off the TSSM and 2. Get bigger yields with 400-600 HPS.
Yeah that's about .93 grams per watt . That's .10 more than what I just got with HPS in coco (but no training I just let the last lot do what it wanted). So your GPW is higher with the LED than what mine was with HPS. Other growers may have better results but when I run DWC with HPS I still struggle to get over 1 GPW it's usually between .9 and 1. But when I run my cob set up (which is old tech now ) I can hit 1.5 GPW. So maybe you just need to change your system to a hydro or get some advice from the soil pros (I hate soil) but my point being if you go to HPS then you may even go backwards with GPW or stay the same because the hydro may boost the numbers and the HPS may drop them. I Would spend the money on a good hydro setup first and see what the numbers are. You can also get organic based nutes these days if you want to stay organic

Indy

Misfit
User ID
One other thing I forgot to mention is the lumen output difference of a 400w and 600w. In the scale of things a 600w is more efficient than the 400w. As you'll see on the chart, the 400w produces around 45k, but the 600w can produce 81k. So as you can see, for the extra 200w you're nearly getting double the output. But you must factor in the extra heat the 600w will generate in a small space. If you can get away with it, it'd be the way to go. (y)

high-pressure-sodium-mean-lumens-system-watts.png

Hudo

Baked
User ID
One other thing I forgot to mention is the lumen output difference of a 400w and 600w. In the scale of things a 600w is more efficient than the 400w. As you'll see on the chart, the 400w produces around 45k, but the 600w can produce 81k. So as you can see, for the extra 200w you're nearly getting double the output. But you must factor in the extra heat the 600w will generate in a small space. If you can get away with it, it'd be the way to go. (y)

View attachment 26534
There my favourite W HPS also the most efficient out of the lot.

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
H
Yeah that's about .93 grams per watt . That's .10 more than what I just got with HPS in coco (but no training I just let the last lot do what it wanted). So your GPW is higher with the LED than what mine was with HPS. Other growers may have better results but when I run DWC with HPS I still struggle to get over 1 GPW it's usually between .9 and 1. But when I run my cob set up (which is old tech now ) I can hit 1.5 GPW. So maybe you just need to change your system to a hydro or get some advice from the soil pros (I hate soil) but my point being if you go to HPS then you may even go backwards with GPW or stay the same because the hydro may boost the numbers and the HPS may drop them. I Would spend the money on a good hydro setup first and see what the numbers are. You can also get organic based nutes these days if you want to stay organic
Ok cool.. I was pretty happy with the 10oz.. I smoke fuckall.... I actually like the growing more than choofin...
But if 10oz is ok for that light I will concentrate on healthier grows and chuckin pollen...
Once thats dialed in I will turn up the heat maybs...

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Yep, same. I'm half inclined to buy a pair of the lumatek digital ballasts I linked earlier in the thread for next winter, lol.
When mine shit themselves I think I might get a double ender to see what all the fuss is about. I can't remember what mine are there both digital same brand but one can flip from 400 to 600 there about 7 years old now

R3za92

Baked
User ID
When mine shit themselves I think I might get a double ender to see what all the fuss is about. I can't remember what mine are there both digital same brand but one can flip from 400 to 600 there about 7 years old now
If your growing in a tent I wouldn’t bother with a de. You need a bunch of extra height to make good use of them. the de’s really come into their own in multi light warehouse grows where the ceiling is 4m above the plants.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
H

Ok cool.. I was pretty happy with the 10oz.. I smoke fuckall.... I actually like the growing more than choofin...
But if 10oz is ok for that light I will concentrate on healthier grows and chuckin pollen...
Once thats dialed in I will turn up the heat maybs...
Yeah the pro growers would smash it. For years when HPS were top dog the holy grail was 1 GPW.now the LED are refined and 90%of the light is usable . A good % of light emitted from HPS isn't used and that's what makes you GPW suffer compared to led

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Well I just did my first full grow using the 600w Rspec and I’m sticking with it and getting another one soon.

I always used 600w HPS to flower ,,in my 1.2 x1.2 tent I used horizontal,,but the box is larger 1.6 x 1.6 ,so that has allways been with a vertical HPS ,,and works better than horizontal because the side light spreads really well ,,And I always raise the outer plants ,,that is the ones against the wall,,to take in a partial effect of a colosseum grow,,,the outer plants always do better than the inner ones.,,its a larger space but dependent on strains I would usually always get from around 560 to 680 grams ,but mostly close to 600 g ,,I did get 800 g once but they were seeded so my figures will be fucked up there..Winter without an oil heatear and they always suffered

First grow with the Rspec in the same space gave me 1041 g ,,about 1.73 g per w..,,so it payed for itself ,,with plenty left over on its first grow.
I did get some seed but very little ,,I’m guessing I only got under 7 g of seed
which takes it down to 1034 g.
also I had a heater in there most of the grow ,but with the extra weight it matters little to me.
I did need to defoliate more with the LED and it was a hassle but worth the extra work
I also upsized my pots so that has to be taken into account as well..

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Well I just did my first full grow using the 600w Rspec and I’m sticking with it and getting another one soon.

I always used 600w HPS to flower ,,in my 1.2 x1.2 tent I used horizontal,,but the box is larger 1.6 x 1.6 ,so that has allways been with a vertical HPS ,,and works better than horizontal because the side light spreads really well ,,And I always raise the outer plants ,,that is the ones against the wall,,to take in a partial effect of a colosseum grow,,,the outer plants always do better than the inner ones.,,its a larger space but dependent on strains I would usually always get from around 560 to 680 grams ,but mostly close to 600 g ,,I did get 800 g once but they were seeded so my figures will be fucked up there..Winter without an oil heatear and they always suffered

First grow with the Rspec in the same space gave me 1041 g ,,about 1.73 g per w..,,so it payed for itself ,,with plenty left over on its first grow.
I did get some seed but very little ,,I’m guessing I only got under 7 g of seed
which takes it down to 1034 g.
also I had a heater in there most of the grow ,but with the extra weight it matters little to me.
I did need to defoliate more with the LED and it was a hassle but worth the extra work
I also upsized my pots so that has to be taken into account as well..
1.73 is a nice number the best I've ever got out of the cobs was 1.6 that was DWC aswell. It paints a good picture on how lights are evolving,Have you done a run with the spider farmer yet to compare to the HLG. One side of my room now has 3 ×240w quantum style lights 2 of which are modified china lights with cutter electronics boards and the 3rd I made from scratch out of cutter boards and 6mm flat bar the other half of the tent still has a 600 hps because a few of the cobs are shot and there's not enough to cover the space. And when I'm looking at lights to upgrade to my brain goes into overdrive trying to decide

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
1.73 is a nice number the best I've ever got out of the cobs was 1.6 that was DWC aswell. It paints a good picture on how lights are evolving,Have you done a run with the spider farmer yet to compare to the HLG. One side of my room now has 3 ×240w quantum style lights 2 of which are modified china lights with cutter electronics boards and the 3rd I made from scratch out of cutter boards and 6mm flat bar the other half of the tent still has a 600 hps because a few of the cobs are shot and there's not enough to cover the space. And when I'm looking at lights to upgrade to my brain goes into overdrive trying to decide
I’ve got three 100w spider farmer LEDs but only use them for seedlings and cuttings etc.,,they do their job for me.. and
the Rspeccis the only flowering LED I have so can’t compare to anything else..but worth every cent.

Top Bottom