Inkbird plus, seedling heating mat

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Another member mentioned a sale on these recently, so purchased one to help get some seedlings sprouted in the cooler weather.

Arrived promptly and for a cheap chinese made product is actually packaged well and looks to be reasonably well assembled.

plugged in and does what it says, heated up to desired temp pretty quickly and the heat feels consistent over the mat.

Instructions actually make sense.

I plan on putting a little domed seedling tray on top with some rockwool cubes and seeds straight in.

Anyone got any ideas what temp to put it at? I assume the plastic seedling tray will absorb some? maybe?

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Another member mentioned a sale on these recently, so purchased one to help get some seedlings sprouted in the cooler weather.

Arrived promptly and for a cheap chinese made product is actually packaged well and looks to be reasonably well assembled.

plugged in and does what it says, heated up to desired temp pretty quickly and the heat feels consistent over the mat.

Instructions actually make sense.

I plan on putting a little domed seedling tray on top with some rockwool cubes and seeds straight in.

Anyone got any ideas what temp to put it at? I assume the plastic seedling tray will absorb some? maybe?

full

full

full

full

full

full

full
I'd do a test to see how accurate it is and how much heat loss you get through the plastic and cubes. Set it all up at say 21° and check on your air and cube temps.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
I'd do a test to see how accurate it is and how much heat loss you get through the plastic and cubes. Set it all up at say 21° and check on your air and cube temps.
+1 test it first, with another thermometer, after running it for an hour or so. If the sensor is faulty and it climbs over 30% it can fry seedlings. Anything from 20 to 25c will work.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Yeah I got one to, fits in bottom drawer perfectly, it tells me already 27 degrees so I set it for 25 to see if it would reduce but no chicken dinner
Mind u all the seeds in shoties did germinate within 2 days

Haha I’m not alone starting seedlings in shot glasses. 😝. Can easily put them down the side/under the fridge or a heat source.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I got a heated propagation tray with dome from Bunnings about 10 years ago it was still going strong Untill recently,I fill it with about an inch of water and it heated it up red hot and fried everything. So now I use one of my ink bird controlers with the probe in the water, set to turn on at 24 and off at 26

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I got a heated propagation tray with dome from Bunnings about 10 years ago it was still going strong Untill recently,I fill it with about an inch of water and it heated it up red hot and fried everything. So now I use one of my ink bird controlers with the probe in the water, set to turn on at 24 and off at 26
+1.. with a aerator 'n stone.

My dome needs replacing too. About the same age and getting real brittle.

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
finally got around to running a little test on this.

Setup is as shown below.

Heat mat set to 26 degrees.
Humidity dome closed.
Single rockwool cube (wet).

The rockwool was wet under a tap and set in the humidity dome, switched on inkbird.

Ambient temp was just taken off a thermometer outside, but no heating on so the temperature change inside should be similar.

The mat surface temp was measured on the mat with a laser temp meter in the same place each time.

The rockwool cube was measured at the top close to centre by opening the small hole on top of the dome.

This morning I also opened the dome and turned the rockwool cube over. the base of the cube measured 24.6 degrees.

The green plastic base of the tray underneath, measured 26.6 degrees.

Seems I lose about 3 degrees from heat mat to the top of the rockwool cube. Also appears it only took about 45 minutes to warm the rockwool cube to full potential. (5:30pm-6:15pm).

I always have great success germinating seeds under my fridge or near something quite warm, so my aim is the have the rockwool temp at round 28 degrees, meaning I will set the inkbird to 31. Feedback welcome before I cook some seeds ;)

TimeAmbientMat surfacetop of cube
5:30pm182720.2
5:45pm1826.522
6:00pm1827.122.9
6:15pm1726.523.5
6:30pm1726.723.7
6:45pm1626.623.8
7:00pm162724.1
8:00pm142724
9:30pm1226.723.6
8:00am1426.223.2

IMG_0185.jpg

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I've always wanted to try a heat mat but at the end of the day the seeds pop in winter regardless of the temps on my end. I swear they are more hardy than people expect. Just never had the need for one here in SE QLD. The current five all went into pots and were out the medium 2 days later even with the 12-13c night and 22c days in the tent.

Tbh I've never found it any harder to germinate it grow seedlings in winter vs summer. Hell, I find it easier in the dead of winter.

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Good info Billygoat. Your methodology ticks boxes in my OCD scientific brain. 🤓

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
I've always wanted to try a heat mat but at the end of the day the seeds pop in winter regardless of the temps on my end. I swear they are more hardy than people expect. Just never had the need for one here in SE QLD. The current five all went into pots and were out the medium 2 days later even with the 12-13c night and 22c days in the tent.

Tbh I've never found it any harder to germinate it grow seedlings in winter vs summer. Hell, I find it easier in the dead of winter.

Hey mate, i've not had issues with germination, but with seeding growth, generally slower when it is cooler, particulary just under a little fluro light not putting out much heat Figured the extra heat at the root level might get that bit moving along quicker. soon find out ;)... Then also same principle when i take some cuttings if the weather is cooler...

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hey mate, i've not had issues with germination, but with seeding growth, generally slower when it is cooler, particulary just under a little fluro light not putting out much heat Figured the extra heat at the root level might get that bit moving along quicker. soon find out ;)... Then also same principle when i take some cuttings if the weather is cooler...
I have a feeling I'm just off with temp measurementsbtbh as I'm usually shading my sensors. It's probably a lot warmer in there with the radiant heat from direct light (I'm using a 250w board at 125w in the little 80x50x100 tent) and the black pots are probably warming up over time due to soaking up the light. When they get 600umol/s from birth they are probably getting more warmth than I expect. What I'm seeing is probably not a good representation of the actual temp. I've always just found it interesting that I tend to get better growth over winter in comparison to summer.

I have a feeling that might explain my foxtailing in summer even though the shaded sensors aren't reading too high.

Last edited:

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Had it running at 31 degrees since this post this morning.

The top of the cube is at 27 degrees.

That will do. Ill pop some seeds straight into rockwool in there tomorrow and see how they go.

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Nice thread @Billygoat, I’m tempted to get one. I’d be curious to try them with my seedling soil pots and whether it would influence/warm soil about 8-10cm deep?

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Nice thread @Billygoat, I’m tempted to get one. I’d be curious to try them with my seedling soil pots and whether it would influence/warm soil about 8-10cm deep?
I use the heat mats under 14l pots during my colder months, keeps the root temps stable, a bit of fine tuning as it gets warmer down the bottom but they keeps my small tents temps fairly stable . The bigger pots creates a 20 degree heat banks

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Good to know. I’m stepping over into the dark side (tent arrived today) and was considering sexing sativas over winter/spring, and getting a head start.

Top Bottom