Canna Terra Pro $$

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Would Diatomaceous earth do the same job ?
It only seems to work when dry. When it's dry it cuts them a new arsehole. I've got some I sprinkle on top of the pebbles and it's not as cheap as the pebbles. Coarse sand works too

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
My climate and altitude keeps most insects under control, but the topic got me interested. Has anyone tried treating the cheap coco with something like this?
Screenshot_20240520_095239_eBay~2.jpg
Came across it on ebay last night.

Goonie Goat

Curing
User ID
My climate and altitude keeps most insects under control, but the topic got me interested. Has anyone tried treating the cheap coco with something like this?
View attachment 48153
Came across it on ebay last night.
It's basically just bacillus thuringiensis (BT) like mosquito dunks, I've tried the corn dipped pellets and tried watering between a few weeks and even sprinkled them onto the Coco in pots, when I checked to see how it went there were heaps of fungus gnat larvae just eating the bt bits but couldn't see any dead ones..
Maybe I got a bad batch of mozzie dunks

med180

Curing
Community Member
User ID
It's basically just bacillus thuringiensis (BT) like mosquito dunks, I've tried the corn dipped pellets and tried watering between a few weeks and even sprinkled them onto the Coco in pots, when I checked to see how it went there were heaps of fungus gnat larvae just eating the bt bits but couldn't see any dead ones..
Maybe I got a bad batch of mozzie dunks
I've never tried anything like it. I've seen a gnat or two up my mountain but they don’t seem to be able to establish themselves. Apparently they don't like temps under 20° and my night temps are under that year round
Even day temps are under 10-20 for 9 months of the year 🤣

Goonie Goat

Curing
User ID
I've never tried anything like it. I've seen a gnat or two up my mountain but they don’t seem to be able to establish themselves. Apparently they don't like temps under 20° and my night temps are under that year round
Yeah the cold slows them down heaps. Guessing it's windy too which they don't like either apparently..
They start finding their way into the grow tents though when it gets cold, I've read so many articles online from watering with Epsom salts, peroxide and placing potato slices on top of the pots, all a waste of time.
I think BT does slow them down but they still repopulate as fast as ever.
I reckon it was a bad batch of BT because others say it works great.
Another thing I've used is a synthetic nicotine pesticide called Imidacloprid. It's a systematic pesticide which the plant uptakes and floors any bug that tries eating the roots or leaves.. paralyzes them and they drop fast.. it's my last card though, I'll only use it if everything else fails as it stays in the plant / soil for a few months (so I don't use it in flower) but it washes away with each watering, the directions state not to water until runoff for that reason..
I had a tomato plant infested with aphids and used some mixed in water and sprayed the plant, they were all belly up on the soil the next day when I checked if it worked

Normally the Tanlin drops work for me before needing to use Imidacloprid, which is an extract of chitin that works great, just a little bit expensive

Last edited:

ED-209

Blooming
User ID
Gnat activity dropped off for me about a month ago with the temperature dip. But I battled them through summer. I tried a bunch of things-

I got a bag of De-Gnat (diatomaceous earth) to cover the tops. Worked well, but the pots I used had holes around the rim for tie downs and they still got in through the sides. So not using those pots anymore, solid wall to the top.

Mosquito Dunks - I got the kibble style stuff - seemed to work well, but needed frequent applications and I was a bit lazy

Tanlin - fuck yeah, lazy mans option. Expensive but easy to use and worked well in tandem with the above and as a more regular application once under control

Neem - I did try this a couple of times. Unsure how effective it was. I wouldn't use it late in flower, but it is also said to have some benefits to plants (dubious?). Just a pain in the arse to prep and apply. I mixed it was castile soap.

Yellow traps - buy a crate of them and decorate like it's xmas

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Would Diatomaceous earth do the same job ?
Better than the alternative I'd imagine, a bit pricey. Rich source of silica. Especially to the lungs when topping up pots :cool:

Works well to prevent/eliminate the gnats with enough on top, 30mm recommended. Acts similar to a mulch too.

Not using it this grow as I'm adding worm castings. Not effective with a lump of fossilized algae covering the soil. No gnats thankfully.

After the grow, mine just gets recycled into the % of salvaged soil and re-amended for the next grow. Similar properties to perlite with water retention.

side note, I have a raised cat tray outside for his food bowl. Designed to fill the leg bases with a bit of diatomaceous earth, prevents ants getting up. Been a blessing since I found that contraption online. uses a fine powder compared to the dr gnat shit.

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I always have gnats, can't seem to get rid of them. I reckon there is a source near my tent. However, they don't seem to do much damage. When they get annoying, I dose with Gnatural. I think it is the same BT bacteria as that other product and it works well. Takes a week or two, but they disappear eventually... until next grow!

gnatural.jpg

Pikey

Baked
User ID
I use neem seed meal in my mix when making "soil" and find I don't have any gnat problems. Stops the little bastards before they even get started. It's also an added source of Ca, Mg, Zn and K. I can't see it hurting to mix a little through your CTP or Coco 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Yeah I've tried them all. Living up north they thrive. And I've found just covering you medium with fine pebble etc as a preventative works better than trying to battle them when they set in.

jezza03

Germinating
User ID
I use neem seed meal in my mix when making "soil" and find I don't have any gnat problems. Stops the little bastards before they even get started. It's also an added source of Ca, Mg, Zn and K. I can't see it hurting to mix a little through your CTP or Coco 🤷‍♂️
Neem seed meal
Where can you source that from and how much do you use in what size pot
Please

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Google is your friend @jezza03, try “Neem meal Australia”, plenty of options. I was getting it from Aqua Gardening b4 they closed. The supplier was Organic Gardening Solutions, they still have a web presence. Most good organic amendment suppliers will have it. It goes in all my soil mixes.

Pikey

Baked
User ID
Neem seed meal
Where can you source that from and how much do you use in what size pot
Please
Roughly 1 cup per 25L

Easy As Organics, OGS, Dr Greenthumb and Pestrol sell it (amongst others). You can sometimes buy in bulk from livestock stores as it is also used to supplement animal feed.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
+ 1 for neem meal
as for soil , the top dressing of worm castings , preferably fresh home made castings has a multitude of benefits , one of which the presents of beneficial microorganisms like bacteria, fungi, nematodes and protozoa that are introduced during the worms' digestive process , the protective effects of the worm castings will help prevent diseases and keep fungus gnats under control as well as boost plant health , improve veg growth & enhance flower production

veritas629

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Neem meal you might have to source from a organic garden or cannabis-orientated shop. However, the extract is available from good ol' Bunnings. The extract stuff works great on my house plants. Haven't had a try yet on my cannabis in coco, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't.

Note: Use neem as a soil drench or on vegging leaves, do not use it on your flowering buds. Some people avoid the active ingredient (azacitidine) completely, so do your own research first.

Top Bottom