Canna Terra Pro $$

jezza03

Germinating
User ID
Hey growers,
I am a very lazy grower, & have had reasonable success with Canna terra pro,a few Nutes , job done
But the price of the canna is out of control,
Is there any cheaper good alternatives worth a crack, does Bunnings have anything? Thoughts please
Cheers

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Hey growers,
I am a very lazy grower, & have had reasonable success with Canna terra pro,a few Nutes , job done
Is there any cheaper good alternatives worth a crack, does Bunnings have anything? Thoughts please
Cheers
I'm in the same boat hence why I recycled my CTP this run. $50 is pretty steep for a bag of medium however it did perform very well. The only think I can think that comes remotely close from Bunnings is the searles platinum peat 80 cut with some perlite, but it's still no CTP. Coco pro is an amended Coco medium from rocky point that has similar water holding capacity and texture which I've found to be a nice medium but still a cut away from CTP.

Last edited:

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Hey growers,
Cheers
Mix your CTP in a 50/50 ratio with perlite. 100 litre perlite bags are about $60 around here. I harvest about 22 to 24 ounces from each bag of ctp( with the extra perlite). Works out around $3 per ounce for medium. About the same price as a quality pre washed/buffered coco coir. Otherwise get the cheapest coco available and wash/buffer it yourself.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Struggle to understand the point of Canna terra pro.

May as well go with coco/perlite and full nutes, or go the full living soil route?

Why mix the 2 completely different processes? Synthetic nutrient depletes beneficial bacteria a decent soil provides. From my research, the only ones disputing these facts are companies mixing them for profit.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID

May as well go with coco/perlite and full nutes, or go the full living soil route?

Why mix the 2 completely different processes? Synthetic nutrient depletes beneficial bacteria a decent soil provides. From my research, the only ones disputing these facts are companies mixing them for profit.
Fungus gnats don't like ctp at all, unlike coco which they seem to thrive in. It's just another hydro-style medium. It's not like soil and doesn't have beneficial bacteria. I treat it like coco without any fungus gnats. It easily flushes (with a high perlite content,) in case a plant goes pear shaped mid grow. As a grower I can quickly control any grower error. I've used soil extensively. It's perfect for outdoors, but I don't recommend it indoors. It's too slow unless growing in very big pots. Even then, it's too slow. šŸ˜‚

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I've actually recycled ctp in the past, adding fresh perlite and coupla random shovels of coco and had no probs. I think main problem ppl have is treating it the same as soil.
Huh....looks like soil, feels like soil, but no chicken dinner
U can ammend it with just about anything, mycos and worm castings, just doesn't come with enough perlite i reckon
So 4 beginners i reckon it's bee knees, as mention by our esteemed fox whisperer, pests don't seem 2 like it very much which is always a win

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Wonder what it is the gnats don't like about it. Could it be the peat? Do you run the CT specific nutes or any hydro nutes?
I've run a few different brand of nutes. Currently running the cheapest brand hydro nutes from Bunnings. It's the peat they don't like, but not sure why.

frankreynolds

Curing
User ID

Symbiotic relationship means both parties are acquiring something from the arrangement, if for example you have p solubilizing bacteria in the medium, then you add P. You are not killing off that bacteria, the plant itself will stop the connection, as it has no need for extra help to gain P as it has access to enough. Then youw ill find that bacteria will die off and be replaced by other more useful ones.

In no way did adding P kill off that bacteria the plant itself essentially choice to. This notion that adding synthetic nutes automatically kills of life in soils is just not right.

The overuse of elements either from synthetic or organic sources is the problem

Now for the topic at hand, If OP wants to feed nutes with every feed, just switch to coco simple problem solved. If you only want to feed once a week, then I'm not too experienced and others can help

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Symbiotic relationship means both parties are acquiring something from the arrangement, if for example you have p solubilizing bacteria in the medium, then you add P. You are not killing off that bacteria, the plant itself will stop the connection, as it has no need for extra help to gain P as it has access to enough. Then youw ill find that bacteria will die off and be replaced by other more useful ones.

In no way did adding P kill off that bacteria the plant itself essentially choice to. This notion that adding synthetic nutes automatically kills of life in soils is just not right.

The overuse of elements either from synthetic or organic sources is the problem

Now for the topic at hand, If OP wants to feed nutes with every feed, just switch to coco simple problem solved. If you only want to feed once a week, then I'm not too experienced and others can help
CTP gets fertigated the same as coco. It's fed with every single watering. Depending on size of pot( and plant), it can be fertigated anywhere from daily, up to every 5 days. My mate grows in 100% coco, in 50 litre pots. He only waters/fertigates the coco once every 4 days.

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Hey growers,
Cheers
If you want a peat based product like canna terra than not really.

If you want to switch to coco products than you can probably save some money by either buying the cheap buffered coco from Bunnings (pine gro brand) or buying cheap horticultural grade unbuffered coco bricks and buffering it yourself.

Hudo

Baked
User ID
If you want a peat based product like canna terra than not really.

If you want to switch to coco products than you can probably save some money by either buying the cheap buffered coco from Bunnings (pine gro brand) or buying cheap horticultural grade unbuffered coco bricks and buffering it yourself.
The pine gro is always teaming with gnats when I get it. At my bunnings you can see the fuckers flying around the bags, and the drain holes that are punched into the bags are big enough for them to get in and lay eggs. I boil a big pot of water and pour it in when I use it

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
The pine gro is always teaming with gnats when I get it. At my bunnings you can see the fuckers flying around the bags, and the drain holes that are punched into the bags are big enough for them to get in and lay eggs. I boil a big pot of water and pour it in when I use it
Iā€™ve never had that problem ,,but my local Bunnings stores it in one of the aisles inside,,could see the gnat problem occurring if it was stored in the outside gardening section though

R3za92

Baked
User ID
Iā€™ve never had that problem ,,but my local Bunnings stores it in one of the aisles inside,,could see the gnat problem occurring if it was stored in the outside gardening section though
Same. Never had a gnat problem with it either. Gnats arenā€™t exactly hard to deal with anyway

Hudo

Baked
User ID
Yeh my bunnings had it indoors in the aisle as well, never had the gnat problem
I used to buy it from Bankstown bunnings when I lived in Sydney and had no probs it was also inside. I slowly get gnats from my brew room but when I use the pine grow I get an infestation within a week.ive also used it as substrate for shrooms and when I've pulled the lid to start air exchange the little cunts come bursting out of the tub. Only way they can get in there is if there already in the coco

jezza03

Germinating
User ID
I've never used Coco , only ever CTP & other soil type mixes, so not sure what these gnats are, what they look like, and what damage they do do
They sound unwanted critters

afghan bob

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Apparently not so much the mums and dads but the kids they leave in the soil that do all the damage 2 young and tender roots

Hudo

Baked
User ID
I've never used Coco , only ever CTP & other soil type mixes, so not sure what these gnats are, what they look like, and what damage they do do
They sound unwanted critters
The adults look kinda like small fruit flies they do fuck all, but the larve are tiny maggots that live in the top 50mm of soil/coco and if there's not enough fungas and shit for them to eat they start on the roots. They adults can lay up to 300 eggs each so when an infestation starts and there's a shitload of Lave the plants suffer big time. Best and cheapest thing to prevent them is a 30mm deep layer of 5mm pea gravel on the top,needs to be fine so there's not big gaps they can crawl through to lay eggs. Does the same as the gnat barriers (there just bags of fine pumice)but 1/4 the price

Top Bottom