Base soil

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now
User ID
Can do outdoors
Just need to move them or completely cover every day. So it requires some dedication. I seem to remember @itchybro did it (?) ( could be wrong. Memory from years ago )

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
50L is bare minimum imo , if your going to use that size pot plan ahead & don't leave them in that pot growing for 6 months , think 3 months max , the main reason smaller pots are problematic is the rate at which the pot can dry out , if organisms are growing , protecting & feeding your plant there environment needs to be kept consistent moisture wise , loose those organisms & you loose the ability for the plant to feed & protect itself , of cause 50L pot indoors is not the same as 50L pot outdoors as far as soil drying rate go's , & if your running 4 50L pots indoor i'd suggest replace those 4 with a small bed indoor & grow 4 plants in it , not saying 50L pots can't be done because i & many others have done it but i did set up a blumat system to keep that moisture consistent , also choice of cultivar is important , a more sativa based plant can stretch double or tripple it's size at flip so it's possible for a 300mm plant to finish over a meter high at harvest
I was looking at blumats last night.
I'm giving a pot/plant to SIL, I'm gonna get her growing and then come round Every week to train until I don't need to do that any more and just tell her to add seasol etc and what to top dress with when I do mine from the bag of tricks I'll give her... But she kills so many plants I was thinking blumats would make it so much easier for her to take care of.

Blue mats means I can use DE as grub protection aswell.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
I was looking at blumats last night.
I'm giving a pot/plant to SIL, I'm gonna get her growing and then come round Every week to train until I don't need to do that any more and just tell her to add seasol etc and what to top dress with when I do mine from the bag of tricks I'll give her... But she kills so many plants I was thinking blumats would make it so much easier for her to take care of.

Blue mats means I can use DE as grub protection aswell.
look into wicking planters for low maintenance watering.
The greensmart planters I have were great running soil and just topping up the bottom reservoir once a week or even longer.
But I did amend with some root drenching products the same way you would use compost teas.

Itchy got me onto them by way of a yank product, Earthbox. It’s the same principle idea.

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
look into wicking planters for low maintenance watering.
The greensmart planters I have were great running soil and just topping up the bottom reservoir once a week or even longer.
But I did amend with some root drenching products the same way you would use compost teas.

Itchy got me onto them by way of a yank product, Earthbox. It’s the same principle idea.
Hmm, bit pricy and smaller volume than my left over 50L pots, good idea though. I reckon I'll just get some knock off blumats from temu or an inverted bottle thingy to get sub surface like I think you suggested a while ago.

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Almost there.
Needed a new shovel so daughter picked the colour for me :)

Just the seasol biochar (combo biochar and rock dust), perlite, worm castings & gogo juice to get next week I think.
Not going to bother with Neem meal this round to be honest.
Last thing I'll get is mychorzzia just before transferring.
20230707_170647.jpg

Last edited:

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Hmm, bit pricy and smaller volume than my left over 50L pots, good idea though. I reckon I'll just get some knock off blumats from temu or an inverted bottle thingy to get sub surface like I think you suggested a while ago.
You can make you own with a larger storage container, slotted ag pipe and pvc piping.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
light dep is pretty cool because you are basically growing outdoor & you control when the dark period starts . aka Flip in other words , your not waiting for days to start shortening naturally , you would germinate seeds , veg for a month then flip or put the plants into darkness for 12 hours & uncover or drag them back out into the sun , you just make sure the plant gets 12 hours of light then darkness , if you time it right your plant is finishing at the peak of summer ( intense sunlight ) , the down side is it's a ball & chain you have to do this every day without fail

if it were summer now i would check the sunrise time add on some civil twilight , add 12 hours to that , that would be the time i had to put them into darkness while still light outside , once the sun went down & it was dark outside i would uncover or drag them back outdoors & do the same again the next day , just need to do that for as many weeks as the plants flowering time requires hence the ball & chain

SIP's or Sub Irrigated Planters ( wicking planters / earthboxes / Greensmart planters ) are an easier setup than blumats , you can even put a float down the fill tube to indicate when the reservoir needs filling if your relying on someone else doing the reservoir filling

if using blumats outdoor i would buy the tap Pressure Reducer & run the system straight from the tap & not from a reservoir & def don't use those bottle attachment one's , they don't work for what your doing , they're ok for indoor house plants but not for fast growing canna outdoors

shame about the neem meal cause seed meals like neem & malted barley are a very handy amendment
leave the gogo juice on the shelf at bunnings & buy EM-1 instead lots of info on the site & can be used by humans , pets & plants
another good add on Freeze dried Aloe Vera Powder

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
light dep is pretty cool because you are basically growing outdoor & you control when the dark period starts . aka Flip in other words , your not waiting for days to start shortening naturally , you would germinate seeds , veg for a month then flip or put the plants into darkness for 12 hours & uncover or drag them back out into the sun , you just make sure the plant gets 12 hours of light then darkness , if you time it right your plant is finishing at the peak of summer ( intense sunlight ) , the down side is it's a ball & chain you have to do this every day without fail

if it were summer now i would check the sunrise time add on some civil twilight , add 12 hours to that , that would be the time i had to put them into darkness while still light outside , once the sun went down & it was dark outside i would uncover or drag them back outdoors & do the same again the next day , just need to do that for as many weeks as the plants flowering time requires hence the ball & chain

SIP's or Sub Irrigated Planters ( wicking planters / earthboxes / Greensmart planters ) are an easier setup than blumats , you can even put a float down the fill tube to indicate when the reservoir needs filling if your relying on someone else doing the reservoir filling

if using blumats outdoor i would buy the tap Pressure Reducer & run the system straight from the tap & not from a reservoir & def don't use those bottle attachment one's , they don't work for what your doing , they're ok for indoor house plants but not for fast growing canna outdoors

shame about the neem meal cause seed meals like neem & malted barley are a very handy amendment
leave the gogo juice on the shelf at bunnings & buy EM-1 instead lots of info on the site & can be used by humans , pets & plants
Oh, I have the malted wheat still in the shed actually (looking at my note list I think I used SST and malted grain interchangeably as if I'd remember both) and the frozen SST paste. Pilsner malt I can get for like $3.5/kg so I should really just add that back to my list. Good reminding.
There's heaps of grains I was looking at at the fodder place but wasn't sure without googling if any would be good to use. Was really hoping to see soybean but didn't.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
soybean is good , if it was me though i want to know if it came from GMO soy

SST or seed sprout teas are good too , malted seeds are more convenient & worms love to eat them
neem or mustard seed meal are left overs from oil extraction & work well as part of your IPM Integrated Pest Management , hard to find mustard seed meal , we seem to make mustard oil here but haven't yet contacted a manufacturer to sse what they do with the left over seed meal

when buying malted barley see if you can get 6 row malted barley it'll most likely be a import

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID

SST or seed sprout teas are good too , malted seeds are more convenient & worms love to eat them
neem or mustard seed meal are left overs from oil extraction & work well as part of your IPM Integrated Pest Management , hard to find mustard seed meal , we seem to make mustard oil here but haven't yet contacted a manufacturer to sse what they do with the left over seed meal

when buying malted barley see if you can get 6 row malted barley it'll most likely be a import
Never seen American 6 row at my local brew shop, I would have used it for the higher diastatic power too.

For mustard seed meal, couldn't we just buy bags of mustard seeds and grind them? They're pretty cheap at Indian markets for big bags? I know it's usually a by product of the oil extraction, but wouldn't using the whole seed be better anyways?

Donothing-garden

Blooming
User ID

The further I get into this industry the more I'm disappointed by the lack of innovation around refinement and manufacturing of waste products into high value fertiliser. For example, straight cow bone. Amazing source of P and Ca. The pure bone is shipped as chips overseas for processing, then sometimes shipped back or to other countries as a refined meal. The same goes for so many other raw material byproducts, they just get thrown in bulk bags and sent overseas. No one wants to invest in manufacturing these waste streams into high value products for the domestic market. So I rely heavily on the few local businesses that either produce their own organic inputs or import by the container load from overseas.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Never seen American 6 row at my local brew shop, I would have used it for the higher diastatic power too.

For mustard seed meal, couldn't we just buy bags of mustard seeds and grind them? They're pretty cheap at Indian markets for big bags? I know it's usually a by product of the oil extraction, but wouldn't using the whole seed be better anyways?
you probably could just grind whole mustard seeds & i would def try it on a tomato plant or something but the oil would be still present when you grind it so it would clump up & be hard to spread , plus i'm not sure the oil itself would be a good thing for your soil with regular use , from what i've seen with others using it , worms repel quite quickly when you first add it as a top dress but a couple days later the organism activity & mycelium bloom seems pretty spectacular

The further I get into this industry the more I'm disappointed by the lack of innovation around refinement and manufacturing of waste products into high value fertiliser. For example, straight cow bone. Amazing source of P and Ca. The pure bone is shipped as chips overseas for processing, then sometimes shipped back or to other countries as a refined meal. The same goes for so many other raw material byproducts, they just get thrown in bulk bags and sent overseas. No one wants to invest in manufacturing these waste streams into high value products for the domestic market. So I rely heavily on the few local businesses that either produce their own organic inputs or import by the container load from overseas.
you would think adding another income stream (diversify if you like) to your business would be a smart thing considering sometimes a side business can turn into a equal or larger income stream , but i'm no expert so what would i know
& thanks for taking the time & effort to chase clean inputs for us to use , it doesn't go unnoticed

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID

Em-1 looks to be what/similar to what bokashi is innoculated with, my wife has been on at me to make a bokashi bucket for years now. Maybe I finally do it lol.

Between that, the worm farm and compost pile, I should be set for a continual supply of good microbes/amendments

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
yep EM is that stuff , much better than gogo juice & about the same price on the face of it but you can extend it & turn 1 liter into 20 liters , by doing so you change the 1 liter shelf life of 12 months to 20 liter shelf life of 6 months so price is not compareable if you went the entension route

if you really keen i can give you a recipe to make this product called https://gro-kashi.com/ which is a bokashi that you can use in your bokashi bin but it was made more as a fertilizer than a compost additive , i made a bunch of liters & got the recipe from the guy in the video below

this is my earthbox with the grokashi i made

016.JPG

017.JPG

018.JPG

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
yep EM is that stuff , much better than gogo juice & about the same price on the face of it but you can extend it & turn 1 liter into 20 liters , by doing so you change the 1 liter shelf life of 12 months to 20 liter shelf life of 6 months so price is not compareable if you went the entension route

if you really keen i can give you a recipe to make this product called https://gro-kashi.com/ which is a bokashi that you can use in your bokashi bin but it was made more as a fertilizer than a compost additive , i made a bunch of liters & got the recipe from the guy in the video below

this is my earthbox with the grokashi i made

View attachment 36648

View attachment 36649

View attachment 36650
Hell yeah please.
I've got that area behind the shed which, from looking at your tub, is bigger than the 20L bucket I was planning on using?
Is that a big arse tub (with a tap on the bottom I guess?) And you're just making a massive batch of bokashi? Is there a false bottom?

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Ok so I posted half way through the video... Have you got a plant growing in there?

Top Bottom