7EG germination rates for different strains

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

OZIOZIAUTO

Baked
User ID
I've got a heated propagation tray I fill it 3/4 with water so the water heats up then damp paper towel in the sanga bag. There is a tray that came with it turned upside down so the bag is not in the water. It keeps the seeds at 27 degree's and alot of strains pop and throw tails quickly it's the best thing I'm my equipment bunnings used to sell them but now they just sell em without the built in heater. I do the same for clones to and with it being full of water it's gets real humid in there and the clones hardly droop and no need to spray them I just have a cool white down light sitting on top for the light
Love your work 👍

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
G’day all,
Recently purchased a few strains from 7 East Genetics (fantastic delivery and service btw) and have attempted to pop them all. All were germinated the exact same way (submerged in water, kept warm and dark, until seed swells and then straight into soil), but some strains really struggled and straight up failed.
I did store all seeds in a fridge for a month or so due to a prior plan, but decided to pop them - perhaps this was the cause?
Below are the strains I got and germination rates:
CBD Panties: All swelled but none germinated
CBD Dragon: Low germination rate but the ones that did are thriving.
Purple Dragon Balls: None germinated.
Grape Dragon: Literally every single seed germinated and is thriving.
Was there something I could have done better?
Was it the refrigeration, and should I avoid that storage method in future?
Is there a difference in strains that changes germination rates?
Or am I just a fuckwit and did everything wrong (don’t be afraid to say it).

Also, i’m gonna need more seeds now, so any incredible strains I should try out next?
Hey man how did your grow go with the CBD dragon? I have some CBD dragon and CBD panties to try out next summer.

PurpleYoda

Germinating
User ID
Hey man how did your grow go with the CBD dragon? I have some CBD dragon and CBD panties to try out next summer.
Unfortunately, a lot of my plants were slaughtered in the crazy winds we had.
I am however about to chop my one and only CBD panties.
It grew small compared to my others, not sure the reasoning for it, but I will be reattempting next season.

terrancefartbubbler

Vegetating
User ID
That sucks dude nothing worse then watching your girls getting smashed by the wind. Let me know how the CBD panties smokes up I'm looking forward to next seasons grow.

Kneeko

Blooming
User ID
i like the info Kevin Jodrey offers on seeds & germination

Finally stumbled o to this vid again..

Great info…

He mentions the “Carbohydrate load”
Of a seed… its stored energy to grow to the stage of first leaves..

I have had issues in the past where they would germinate fine.. but stall after 1 or 2mm of tap root…

Apparently its not a gemination or “Old seed” issue.. but an immature seed issue.

Not enough stored energy for AFTER germination…

So I know H202 ( hydrogen peroxide ) helps the seed germinate…. But the wuestion for me is….

What can replace the carbs not present in an immature seed ?

Does Fulvic acid and Gibberic acid help germination ?
Or….. the next stage from germ-first leaf ?

Its not clear whether the “bean tea” Kevin speaks of is a germ aid or a carbohydrate aid…

Anyone know…. What stops them stalli g after germ ?

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID
Finally stumbled o to this vid again..

Great info…

He mentions the “Carbohydrate load”
Of a seed… its stored energy to grow to the stage of first leaves..

I have had issues in the past where they would germinate fine.. but stall after 1 or 2mm of tap root…

Apparently its not a gemination or “Old seed” issue.. but an immature seed issue.

Not enough stored energy for AFTER germination…

So I know H202 ( hydrogen peroxide ) helps the seed germinate…. But the wuestion for me is….

What can replace the carbs not present in an immature seed ?

Does Fulvic acid and Gibberic acid help germination ?
Or….. the next stage from germ-first leaf ?

Its not clear whether the “bean tea” Kevin speaks of is a germ aid or a carbohydrate aid…

Anyone know…. What stops them stalli g after germ ?
i read something about a study showing that scarifying immature sunflower seeds and soaking in gibberellic acid greatly improved germination
fulvic acid definitely good too but not sure about with the immature seed issue.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

Blooming
User ID

Comparison Of Germination Techniques for Wild Helianthus Seeds1

JM Chandler, CC Jan
Crop science, 1985•Wiley Online Library

Seed dormancy has hampered previous efforts to study Helianthus sp. and to use them in breeding programs for improving the cultivated sunflower, H. annuus L. Several seed treatments were tested to determine their effectiveness in overcoming the strong seed dormancy found in many wild Helianthus sp. The first treatment (referred to as the complete treatment) involved mechanical scarification of the seed, a 1 h soak in a 100 mg/L solution of gibberellic acid (GA3), plus hull removal. Other treatments were simplifications of this procedure, and three whole seed treatments using GA3 or ethylene. The results indiicate that treatments which removed the hull and seed coat were the most effective, giving germination of over 90% for many species including the hard‐to‐germinate annual desert species. Soaking scarified seeds for 1 h in a 100 mg/L GA9 solution increased germination for some accessions. Soaking whole seeds in 100 mg/L GA3 for 1 h or 50 mg/L 2‐chloroethylphosphonie acid for 16 h did not increase germination. Incubating whole seeds for 10 days in either 100 or 1000 mg/L GA3 increased germination but produced abnormal plants. The complete treatment is recommended despite its complexity because it gives a high germination percentage and varies least from accession to accession.

itchybro

Sultan Of Soil
User ID
Hey Kneeko
i'm not sure there's much you can do if the problem your dealing with is immature seed , my first thought when i read that was don't use them but i guess that doesn't help you much

fulvic & gib acid def help with germination but can't add what is not there " Stored " energy
bean tea is pretty much the same , it'll help with germination

the first thing i would look at is my own procedures , am i over or under watering after or while they are germinating , if i use a heat mat are they getting to hot , no heat mat then are they getting to cold , if i was satisfied with what i was doing then look at what i can do different , if i soak seed then into paper towel maybe go from soak to media & leave paper towel out

maybe you could buy some hemp seed & test your procedures out with a seed that isn't so expensive

sorry mate i haven't got the answers your probably looking for

Top Bottom