Ventilation & Filtration Systems?

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
I was interested to hear peoples thoughts on the different set ups for a tent.
Main criteria I have are:

*Main use initially would be a drying space and early veg starts

*Can utilise 120*120 tent to full capacity flowering later when required

*Has a carbon filter - reusable or replaceable?

*Do the Spider Farmer light issues apply to their ventilation systems? I was considering AC Infinity. I’m comfortable spending extra for quality if it’s warranted.

*Hangs from the tent ceiling, though open to other configurations if recommended

*Specs for tent say 100mm/4” will suffice (at its limit) should I consider a 6” system?

*Thoughts on the environment control systems some include. My impressions so far they’re not crash hot? Initially this is important as I need a dedicated drying space to manage excess humidity that’s been around last few seasons. I envisage a system that can maintain an approximate temperature and humidity range in conjunction with other tools; heater, AC, dehumidifier etc.

I shall appreciate hearing others thoughts, experiences and suggestions.
Thanks 👍

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
User ID
I was interested to hear peoples thoughts on the different set ups for a tent.
Main criteria I have are:

*Main use initially would be a drying space and early veg starts

*Can utilise 120*120 tent to full capacity flowering later when required

*Has a carbon filter - reusable or replaceable?

*Do the Spider Farmer light issues apply to their ventilation systems? I was considering AC Infinity. I’m comfortable spending extra for quality if it’s warranted.

*Hangs from the tent ceiling, though open to other configurations if recommended

*Specs for tent say 100mm/4” will suffice (at its limit) should I consider a 6” system?

*Thoughts on the environment control systems some include. My impressions so far they’re not crash hot? Initially this is important as I need a dedicated drying space to manage excess humidity that’s been around last few seasons. I envisage a system that can maintain an approximate temperature and humidity range in conjunction with other tools; heater, AC, dehumidifier etc.

I shall appreciate hearing others thoughts, experiences and suggestions.
Thanks 👍
I think for drying you don't need anything powerful, just something that can exchange a bit of stagnant air, I turn my inline fan down with a variable speed controller which any fan can plug into, then have the dehumidifier set to 55-60% rh, a little pedestal fan pointed indirectly (at the tent walls not at buds) just to stir up the intake air.

As long as i can feel the tiniest bit of air sucking through the gap in the tent door, the buds will usually dry in under 2 weeks or so depending on hanging with fan leaves or not etc.

For your 4×4 you'd be good with a 6 inch inline fan. What I've done with mine and can recommend if you have the space is getting an 8 inch carbon filter, an 8 inch to 6 inch duct reducer and hooking the 6 inch fan and ducting up to it,
I've found mine lasting way longer and theres less drag on the fan.

I've only got 2 inlines, blauberg turbo 6 inch and a vivosun 4 inch. Blauberg has been running for years and has never missed a beat, the vivosun is a cheap and nasty fan which rattles and just feels cheap, but its done okay for the price.
Got both hooked up to speed controllers, but I'm pretty sure vivosun have some fans which can connect and be controlled from your phone like the AC infinity's and show all the VPD details etc. no experience with those kinds though. Keep in mind the after sales/customer service is pretty ass with the cheap brands too

Last edited:

Indy

Misfit
User ID
If i was going to go your route in a 1.2m Tent for the purpose you mentioned. I'd be looking at a AC Infinity Cloudline Pro T6 with the Smart Controller for ventilation simply because you can control the heat and humidity to some extent. The T6 is a bit of overkill for that size tent, you could easily get by with a T4, but what i've found what works for me is purchasing gear like that so it doesn't get overworked or forced to run flatout over a period of time which eventually sees it fail at the most inconvenient time. As regards to a carbon filter that personal choice, only thing i can add there is that the filter can handle the volume of air that the extraction fan can produce. Pretty important that bit so you don't risk loading up, and burning out the extraction fan.

As for light/s. Take your pick. I'd go for a Full Spectrum multiple bar type for a better spread of light, something around 500w mark or up. The LED Diodes is something else to consider, the better ones in recent years has been Samsung, but of late it appears Osram has captured a bit of the market. As for the brand of light you could go either a Spiderfarmer or AC Infinity, just depends on what your budget is. Just keep in mind their Drivers are sourced from the same company (Sosen)

But yeah, i'd recommend go a little oversized than what you initially think you need, just in case you change your mind later on. Also, get up to speed with the latest tech on the market, and future-proof your kit the best you can..

Goodluck with it.. (y)

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Thanks Goonie and Indy, that’s the comments I was hoping to hear.
So an 8” filter on a 6” exhaust will not impact the fan? Oversized as Indy said.
I agree with your thoughts on capacity, and not cutting corners 👍
I was looking at GLA for light, I liked the driver being seperate (reduces weight significantly) and can be placed outside the tent. More than enough for my needs, way more than I envisaged spending, but huge warranty appeals.

Goonie Goat

Curing
User ID
So and 8” filter on a 6” exhaust will not impact the fan? Oversized as Indy said.
I agree with your thoughts and capacity 👍
No but they are quite beefy, but well worthwhile in my opinion

Reactions: SAW

Indy

Misfit
User ID
Sounds about right, @SAW. I'm currently running with a Original Phat Phresh Air Activated Carbon Filter - 200 x 800MM | 750CFM. With a 8" to 6" Reducer/Joiner, that hooks up to the 6" fan.

EDIT: Something to factor in with the bigger carbon filters, is the length. By time i hook all three items together (filter, reducer and fan), it's just short enough to fit into my 1.5m tent. Not that you have to have it in that arrangement, as you could get away with just the filter and Reducer in there, with the fan external of the tent.

20240711_145430.jpg

Last edited:

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
So an 8” filter on a 6” exhaust will not impact the fan? Oversized as Indy said.
I agree with your thoughts on capacity, and not cutting corners 👍
I was looking at GLA for light, I liked the driver being seperate (reduces weight significantly) and can be placed outside the tent. More than enough for my needs, way more than I envisaged spending, but huge warranty appeals.
GLA are epic lights and they are the most Australian made you can purchase! When my HLGs clap out that's what I'll be getting next.
Spiderfarmer are garbage!

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Sounds about right, @SAW. I'm currently running with a Original Phat Phresh Air Activated Carbon Filter - 200 x 800MM | 750CFM. With a 8" to 6" Reducer/Joiner, that hooks up to the 6" fan.

EDIT: Something to factor in with the bigger carbon filters, is the length. By time i hook all three items together (filter, reducer and fan), it's just short enough to fit into my 1.5m tent. Not that you have to have it in that arrangement, as you could get away with just the filter and Reducer in there, with the fan external of the tent.

View attachment 49704
I have the same 8inch into a 6inch reducer but my fan is outside the tent.

SAW

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Thank you again. Forgot to post this comment…
I haven’t dived into them greatly but any thoughts on single use or refill carbon filters? Is there a cost or other benefit?
That’s a large setup, will take some planning..

Indy

Misfit
User ID
I have the same 8inch into a 6inch reducer but my fan is outside the tent.
Yeah, not a bad way to go. Why I hung it all up in there is because it's out of the way, and I'm battling with enough shit outside of the tent.

Porky

The Dwarf Hermie King
User ID
Yeah, not a bad way to go. Why I hung it all up in there is because it's out of the way, and I'm battling with enough shit outside of the tent.
Yeah I got the room so it's easy for me to have it outside. I got the controller to adjust it easily accessible as mine is just the old analog style.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I got the 150mm AC fan with a 200mm AC carbon filter. Used a witches hat cut to suit as the reducer flange with a couple hose clamps. Only as I had one at the time and it still does the job. There is no doubting the bigger the carbon filter, the better it'll flow and the longer it'll last before the stink, regardless of fan size blowing through it.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I use $35-$40 extraction fans off eBay. All three have Been going for four years non stop now...you know those red and black ones with the cheap speed controller. Filters are evergrow or can lite as the cheapos were only good for 12 months or a bit more..

Spending hundreds on something that just moves air seems a bit off at the end of the day for me as I'm only a hobbyist. Same with $120 clip fans. Purely unnecessary. I have $30 clip fans going on 4 years now that move air.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I use $35-$40 extraction fans off eBay. All three have Been going for four years non stop now...you know those red and black ones with the cheap speed controller. Filters are evergrow or can lite as the cheapos were only good for 12 months or a bit more..

Spending hundreds on something that just moves air seems a bit off at the end of the day for me as I'm only a hobbyist. Same with $120 clip fans. Purely unnecessary. I have $30 clip fans going on 4 years now that move air.
Certainly understand your sentiment mate. Most of us a merely hobbyists, but Id prefer to spend a bit more to sleep easier at night rather than hoping the cheap shit doesnt burn...

Let alone the programming and functions on the AC stuff.

Also should note how well AC values their customers by providing a generation 2 osc fan to all who had a clicky gen 1 model. Unheard of that sort of shit nowadays.

Top Bottom