Seeking advice on carbon filter setups, and what's economical long term,refilling?

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Anyone have experience with refilling carbon filters, and was it worthwhile expense wise.?

Right now, I have 4 of the 6" carbon filter/ inline fan combos of 3 different brands and I am considering/looking for options that maybe for economical in the long run. Downstairs running 2 flower tents, veg tent and a drying tent, while upstairs have a carbon filter/fan for smoking. It's been less than a year trying this indoor growing and had to replace 2 of the carbon filters a few months ago so want to have a think about options.

Also was wondering about large version just to put downstairs outside the tents, maybe that is a better option? Are they usually a refillable type?

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Goonie Goat

Curing
User ID
You can buy 20kg bags of activated charcoal on eBay for around $120. Haven't done it myself but from what I've read it can be a pain getting them back together, but persistence should pay off.

AC infinity have some newly released reusable carbon filters which seem pretty good. Can purchase them through Quickbloom lights

Also if you have the space i recommend running a bigger sized carbon filters than the exhaust fan (10 inch or 8 inch filter on a 6 inch reducer to the inline fan for example) or getting a duct splitter which you can run the multiple filters off the one fan, wont be as much drag on the fan. Should be able to get a bit more out of the filters before replacing

Last edited:

Hudo

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I done one once it was a dirty shit job
If you have e an orbital sander push it on the side without paper on it to vibrate the carbon so it packs tight enough. I just factor the cost into my budget. The time and effort for.me outweigh the cost of a new filter

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
Anyone have experience with refilling carbon filters, and was it worthwhile expense wise.?

Right now, I have 4 of the 6" carbon filter/ inline fan combos of 3 different brands and I am considering/looking for options that maybe for economical in the long run. Downstairs running 2 flower tents, veg tent and a drying tent, while upstairs have a carbon filter/fan for smoking. It's been less than a year trying this indoor growing and had to replace 2 of the carbon filters a few months ago so want to have a think about options.

Also was wondering about large version just to put downstairs outside the tents, maybe that is a better option? Are they usually a refillable type?
They should last longer than that ,,
Sounds like they shit themselves in winter,,,if there is plenty of rain ,and humidity is way too high ,the filters take in a lot of moisture and can stop working ,,,

I changed one years back and hung on to it coz it weighed a heap more than when new ,,thought if I let it dry out it’d be ok,
It’s still sitting there waiting to be checked ,hopefully it’ll work again ,,and now it doesn’t feel heavier than it should,
Any way bad filter with extreme humdity might not be the end of its use,,,
It’s worthwhile to have at least one spare filter .

benn0

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Seems like a cunt of a job to refurbish one yourself when they aren't that expensive

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
You can buy 20kg bags of activated charcoal on eBay for around $120. Haven't done it myself but from what I've read it can be a pain getting them back together, but persistence should pay off.

AC infinity have some newly released reusable carbon filters which seem pretty good. Can purchase them through Quickbloom lights

Also if you have the space i recommend running a bigger sized carbon filters than the exhaust fan (10 inch or 8 inch filter on a 6 inch reducer to the inline fan for example) or getting a duct splitter which you can run the multiple filters off the one fan, wont be as much drag on the fan. Should be able to get a bit more out of the filters before replacing
Interesting, never thought about reducers and splitters. Thanks for the links,.

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
I done one once it was a dirty shit job
If you have e an orbital sander push it on the side without paper on it to vibrate the carbon so it packs tight enough. I just factor the cost into my budget. The time and effort for.me outweigh the cost of a new filter
Didn't know about packing issues, good to know

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
They should last longer than that ,,
Sounds like they shit themselves in winter,,,if there is plenty of rain ,and humidity is way too high ,the filters take in a lot of moisture and can stop working ,,,

I changed one years back and hung on to it coz it weighed a heap more than when new ,,thought if I let it dry out it’d be ok,
It’s still sitting there waiting to be checked ,hopefully it’ll work again ,,and now it doesn’t feel heavier than it should,
Any way bad filter with extreme humdity might not be the end of its use,,,
It’s worthwhile to have at least one spare filter .
Well that could be it for sure, my humidity had been and is also currently too high. Didn't know that high humidity could effect them, but it makes sense. I cant say I remember how heavy they were when i replaced but did set those 2 filters aside, I will move them somewhere drier and recheck them later. Hoping I get a chance to get the split system installed in next week or two, just a matter of finding the time, with the weather changing rapidly here, have to make it a priority.

VinDeezle

Baked
Community Member
User ID
I usually get around 2 years continuous from my evergrow filters tbh. Had the worst performance from the two can lite filters (GT 300 and GT 425) and they keep emptying their carbon out the duct alongside doing a very average job for the money.

I don't control humidity myself and luckily haven't had any issues with reduced performance from waterlogging so far.

Bear777

Vegetating
Community Member
User ID
Over the life of the carbon filter, how often do you find it worthwhile to change or clean the pre filter sock or are most people just changing it when the carbon filter is due for a change

Squire

Curing
Community Member
User ID
I have a Mars hydro 4" that only lasted One and a half grows . Could smell as soon second flowered . Get what you pay for I reckon

Hudo

Baked
Community Member
User ID
Over the life of the carbon filter, how often do you find it worthwhile to change or clean the pre filter sock or are most people just changing it when the carbon filter is due for a change
I swap every grow they usually come with 2 so I put the clean one on each crop cycle and wash the other so it's ready to go for next run

Top Bottom