Gday guys 🤙🏼

Dan.Boi420

Germinating
User ID
Gday everyone Im based sw vic. I mainly grow indoors mostly autos but also my once a year outdoor. Currently even struggling to keep grow tents warm at the moment with this shitty weather. Hoping to figure out a easy way to warm grow room eventually 🤣 . Cheers🤙🏼 hope you have a good day

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
Sawatdee khrap 🙏
Another one from South west vic here. I’m hunting for cold resistant strains for winter, it’s gonna be too expensive to heat the tent this year. At least the humidity has dropped a bit in the last week.

Old fox

Customs Avoidance
Community Member
User ID
Welcome Dan. A miniature 500watt oil heater works really well. Got mine from Jaycar for about $40. I've put some tape over the red "on" light and run it 11 hours each night( goes on about an hour after lights off). I'm on a 3 phase/stage electricity plan and pay around 17cents per kWh after 8pm. Costs me under $1 a day to run during off peak, and maintains grow room above 15c at night.

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
Welcome Dan. A miniature 500watt oil heater works really well. Got mine from Jaycar for about $40. I've put some tape over the red "on" light and run it 11 hours each night( goes on about an hour after lights off). I'm on a 3 phase/stage electricity plan and pay around 17cents per kWh after 8pm. Costs me under $1 a day to run during off peak, and maintains grow room above 15c at night.
I’m the other way,I run the lights at night which just manages to keep the temp above 15 and house is heated from 0600 until 2400. It’s not perfect and I reckon that nights below 5c the temps drop below 15c. I’ll have a look at the jaycar,there’s a reseller in town. It’s something for me to consider for next grow.
In the meantime I’m loving the purple heads.

pug

Vegetating
User ID
if possible, you could extract/vent into your grow room (not outside) to create a sealed room. this will lift the grow room temp up a fair bit.

also, you can put two tents into the same grow room and offset the lighting schedule - making sure that at all times one light is on and both tent lights are on during the coldest period - around 4am-8am. if you are growing autos, you get an advantage of using a longer light schedule of at least 18/6 and also it helps with any light leaks.

Dan.Boi420

Germinating
User ID
if possible, you could extract/vent into your grow room (not outside) to create a sealed room. this will lift the grow room temp up a fair bit.

also, you can put two tents into the same grow room and offset the lighting schedule - making sure that at all times one light is on and both tent lights are on during the coldest period - around 4am-8am. if you are growing autos, you get an advantage of using a longer light schedule of at least 18/6 and also it helps with any light leaks.
Hey mate i was venting outside. So i tried just running them in room instead of out the window yesterday and it has raised my temps quite a bit but also my humidity 85+ which isn't good as i have plants flowering. Im trying to figure something out. If not i will be looking at buying a dehumidifier. Cheers

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
Hey mate i was venting outside. So i tried just running them in room instead of out the window yesterday and it has raised my temps quite a bit but also my humidity 85+ which isn't good as i have plants flowering. Im trying to figure something out. If not i will be looking at buying a dehumidifier. Cheers
I’m running my exhaust inside to try and maintain temps. No drama with RH, it’s at 60%. I’ve just looked at weather, humidity is high outside @ 91%. You got problems with damp? Maybe a few dehumidifier packs for damp rooms might help, a few bucks from
Kmart.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
Welcome Dannyboi.

I cannot see the point in even running an exhaust if the air is only being re-circulated. Sure, it might be warmer in there, but devoid of any fresh oxygen and co2. There is fuck all co2 in our air so you need to keep replenishing it.

Im running a 450w (small footprint) panel heater, on an inkbird temp controller, lights off only.

My exhaust is bringing in 80-95% cold humid air from outside, 45 mins every hour, 24/7. Lights on humidity hovers around 50%. But lights off with the heater set to 22c, humidity dips below 40%. Im in early veg, so little transpiration yet. Flowering will no doubt be the usual 75%+ debacle

High humidity during flower can be countered with a shitload of fans blowing every leaf and proper air exchange. A few humidity packs wont do fuck all.

pug

Vegetating
User ID
Welcome Dannyboi.

I cannot see the point in even running an exhaust if the air is only being re-circulated. Sure, it might be warmer in there, but devoid of any fresh oxygen and co2. There is fuck all co2 in our air so you need to keep replenishing it.

Im running a 450w (small footprint) panel heater, on an inkbird temp controller, lights off only.

My exhaust is bringing in 80-95% cold humid air from outside, 45 mins every hour, 24/7. Lights on humidity hovers around 50%. But lights off with the heater set to 22c, humidity dips below 40%. Im in early veg, so little transpiration yet. Flowering will no doubt be the usual 75%+ debacle

High humidity during flower can be countered with a shitload of fans blowing every leaf and proper air exchange. A few humidity packs wont do fuck all.
plants require very little oxygen or carbon dioxide (and other gases) compared to humans. they also transpire way less than humans.

moisture levels.png

most people sleep with their their door closed in a room without any oxygen depletion issues. the koreans actually use C02 monitors in their classrooms, as 50 sweaty teenagers, tend to use enough oxygen and create enough co2 to start making it worth opening a window or venting outside.

there are quite a few myths in canna and i would consider the need to vent outside for a few plants, to be one of them.

I've grown in sealed rooms in hot/humid areas with aircons and sealed rooms in cool/cold areas without extra heat - without any issues. if the weather is moderate (not too hot or cold or dry or humid), than venting outside is a good idea ... unfortunately, these locations are becoming less common. it would be very difficult for canadians to grow cannabis in winter without using sealed rooms.

high humidity in flowering is usually dealt with by extracting moisture from the air or by increasing temperatures - keeping within good vpd limits. if in a cold area, it makes sense to lift the temperatures. if in a hot area, it is best to extract the moisture - most aircons sit around the 60% humidity level by default.

DanBoi ... the increased humidity in conjunction with raised temps is unusual. without telling us your location ... can you give a rough idea of temps/humidity outside during the day/night and also within your room?

Last edited:

pug

Vegetating
User ID
I’m running my exhaust inside to try and maintain temps. No drama with RH, it’s at 60%. I’ve just looked at weather, humidity is high outside @ 91%. You got problems with damp? Maybe a few dehumidifier packs for damp rooms might help, a few bucks from
Kmart.
the only thing i've noticed with sealed rooms (my use of sealed is probably not the most accurate and is not like the big professional outfits, which fully seal all air ... i just mean, used like a normal room that has doors opening and closing during the day - just not venting outside) is that the carbon filters have a tendency to spit out carbon dust.

not sure if you are doing it Kee Mao, but if possible, putting a hepa filter at the end of your extraction ducting, will trap any coal dust from the filter, entering the room. i have a few pictures which are a bit scary of how much coal dust actually gets spat out over a year period.

Kee Mao

Baked
User ID
I am thinking that the humidity problem is the house itself. I’m living in the same area and the humidity today has been very high. Some older houses down here can be incredibly damp and cold in winter.

The humidity outside has been about 90% today, in my tent it’s 58% and 21c. I’m not doing anything special to lower the RH. That leads me to believe it might be the house itself that’s the issue.

@pug thats something I didn’t know,I’ll have a look at HEPA filters this weekend.

There is much knowledge I have yet to aquire. This indoor growing business is a bit more complicated then a summer, throw and grow.

Reactions: pug

pug

Vegetating
User ID
I am thinking that the humidity problem is the house itself. I’m living in the same area and the humidity today has been very high. Some older houses down here can be incredibly damp and cold in winter.

The humidity outside has been about 90% today, in my tent it’s 58% and 21c. I’m not doing anything special to lower the RH. That leads me to believe it might be the house itself that’s the issue.

@pug thats something I didn’t know,I’ll have a look at HEPA filters this weekend.

There is much knowledge I have yet to aquire. This indoor growing business is a bit more complicated then a summer, throw and grow.
i reckon you're spot on with Dan.Boi420's house or room being very damp Kee Mao.

a dehumidifier in the room (while still venting inside ... or as canfan call it 'recirculating'), would probably be the most efficient and effective way to bring down the humidity in the tent and as a nice by-product, increase the heat a bit more as well from the dehuey.

i've tried to find a nice round hepa from a vacuum cleaner that would fit snugly into the exhaust ducting, but haven't been successful yet. as an alternative, i use a squarish hepa that works well and can either be attached to a flange or attached with a shitload of tape ...lol. this one seems to do the job well for $25: https://www.homedics.com.au/collect...ue-hepa-filter-for-small-air-purifiers-ap15au

if interested, the flange can be bought from most hvac places for around $15 and makes attaching the hepa a bit easier and gets rid of any air leaks.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
plants require very little oxygen or carbon dioxide (and other gases) compared to humans. they also transpire way less than humans.

View attachment 24541

most people sleep with their their door closed in a room without any oxygen depletion issues. the koreans actually use C02 monitors in their classrooms, as 50 sweaty teenagers, tend to use enough oxygen and create enough co2 to start making it worth opening a window or venting outside.

there are quite a few myths in canna and i would consider the need to vent outside for a few plants, to be one of them.

I've grown in sealed rooms in hot/humid areas with aircons and sealed rooms in cool/cold areas without extra heat - without any issues. if the weather is moderate (not too hot or cold or dry or humid), than venting outside is a good idea ... unfortunately, these locations are becoming less common. it would be very difficult for canadians to grow cannabis in winter without using sealed rooms.

high humidity in flowering is usually dealt with by extracting moisture from the air or by increasing temperatures - keeping within good vpd limits. if in a cold area, it makes sense to lift the temperatures. if in a hot area, it is best to extract the moisture - most aircons sit around the 60% humidity level by default.

DanBoi ... the increased humidity in conjunction with raised temps is unusual. without telling us your location ... can you give a rough idea of temps/humidity outside during the day/night and also within your room?
Sorry I feel you've totally underestimated the importance of co2. Co2 is added in a sealed room. Its a must, along with de/humidifiers and air cons.

The general guideline on vented systems, is the need to replace the air every 5 minutes.

Reactions: pug

pug

Vegetating
User ID
Sorry I feel you've totally underestimated the importance of co2. Co2 is added in a sealed room. Its a must, along with de/humidifiers and air cons.

The general guideline on vented systems, is the need to replace the air every 5 minutes.co2 is important .... but additional co2 is not needed for a few plants. there is more than enough in a normal sized room with the doors being opened very now and then.
co2 is important ... the size of a grow will determine the need to supplement or to use what is already in the grow environment. temperature also plays an important role in the uptake of supplemental co2 by plants - it needs to be nice and warm for a plant to really utilise co2.

co2 in a grow room, can come from the plants themselves, from the soil (the microbes and living things within) and from people. it is possible to buy a cheap co2 metre and it is amazing to monitor how much co2 comes from people in a room.

my poor use of 'sealed room' is probably confusing things a bit ... in a true sealed room, constant monitoring and adjustment of co2, moisture, heat and air movement is vital. these kind of setups though are quite elaborate and for big grows - basically commercial setups with high initial overheads. for a few plants, a recirculating system where no air is exhausted outside, is a better term. in small grows ... no additional co2 is needed for good healthy plant growth - only the air in the room from everyday use, is needed.

i have a feeling that the 5 min refresh rule comes from the marketing department of a hydro fan or carbon filter company. :)

the 5min rule also factored in the heat that hid lamps produced in a small area and the need to get rid of that heat quickly. even canfan have to make this concession and have a 'recirculating' rate as well as the standard 'exhaust' rate on their refresh calculator.

the use of heaters, aircons, humidifiers or dehumidifiers when exhausting the tent air outside is incredibly wasteful and expensive. i know, because i did it that way for years. it was only until a time came, when i could not vent outside due to stealth reasons, that i had to try something different and go with a recirculating (non-vented grow room).

there is a lot of information about non-vented grow spaces around. most of it comes from growers in cold climates, who can not exhaust outside, due to the cost of heating sub-zero air constantly, in order to vent outside - after all, you need to initially bring in air to exhaust it.

once I got used to this way of growing (which requires good environmental data gathering systems), even in moderate climate locations ... i will still use non-vented grow rooms for the amount of control i can get over an environment and the reduced hassle and costs.

if you get the chance and are only growing a few plants ... or if you have a grow situation where the climate or stealth requirements make it difficult to vent outside, why not give it a crack? from my experience, this makes growing heaps more fun, as it reduces most of the environmental concerns, which in turn, reduces pest problems and nutrient uptake issues.

it just makes things easier and cheaper.:)

Top Bottom