Beekeeping

Please join our community to continue reading

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
So for the last couple of years the DPI destroyed all the hives around my area because of Veroa mite but I only heard on the news last night that they are allowing home beekeepers to start up again.

thefullspectrum

Curing
Community Member
User ID
So for the last couple of years the DPI destroyed all the hives around my area because of Veroa mite but I only heard on the news last night that they are allowing home beekeepers to start up again.
Concerning. I hadn't heard this news but thats not unsurprising, as I'm not in the scene. Many older guys and some science claim general bee population health relates closely to humans. What state you in mate? Been getting big jars of fresh honey from my neighbor for a couple of years now. Beautiful stuff. In another league to store bought shit. Im in Southern Vic.

Aye Shroomer

Baked
User ID
Concerning. I hadn't heard this news but thats not unsurprising, as I'm not in the scene. Many older guys and some science claim general bee population health relates closely to humans. What state you in mate? Been getting big jars of fresh honey from my neighbor for a couple of years now. Beautiful stuff. In another league to store bought shit. Im in Southern Vic.
Hunter valley, nsw

Thepie

Germinating
Community Member
User ID
Australia was the only country without veroa mite for a while , until it was found around Newcastle area !! I’m lucky at the moment being in the act , but I recon I’ll get to us eventually, most other countries just live with it ,

Sedge

Baked
Staff member
Community Member
User ID
The government stopped funding to eradicate Verona mites about six months ago, now only interested in stopping them spreading,,,
I was pissed off when I read that..it’s like they just gave up.

Eventually food that relies on bee pollination will go up in price

Billygoat

Staff member
Community Member
User ID
The government stopped funding to eradicate Verona mites about six months ago, now only interested in stopping them spreading,,,
I was pissed off when I read that..it’s like they just gave up.

Eventually food that relies on bee pollination will go up in price

Yet in qld we spend half a billion dollars a year trying to eradicate fire ants. Complete waste of money!

I’ve always wanted one of those flow hives, but I’m concerned the novelty would wear off, so haven’t commited. 😂

Beil

Blooming
Community Member
User ID
Yet in qld we spend half a billion dollars a year trying to eradicate fire ants. Complete waste of money!

I’ve always wanted one of those flow hives, but I’m concerned the novelty would wear off, so haven’t commited. 😂
I asked my wife if we can get a beehive after seeing this thread... Forgetting that she is severely averse to bees (despite her mother being an avid gardener and loving them).
I burst out laughing when she brought up me being in a bee suit to avoid getting stung!

I'm going to see if she'll accept trying to bring in blue banded bees instead.

DosFish

Germinating
User ID
I've got a stingless beehive in the garden. It's really nice to have, the bees pollinate the plants in the garden, there is no maintenance for them and once a year I get a nice jar of sugar bag honey from the hive. They don't sting, but they annoy the shit out of you when taking honey. Hundreds come after you and give you soft little bites, some bite in the corner of your eyes and nose. 🐝

Top Bottom